What are these WWII Tubas?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
P@rick
bugler
bugler

Post by P@rick »

Finally I found some time to take some pictures of my lady’s. My little girl is a Yamaha YEB 321 Eb tuba. I put it on the picture as a reference. The other is my big mama which I recently bought.

The funny thing is that the guy from who I bought the Melton tuba was as big as the tuba itself (110cm). He was advertising it on a Dutch online market place for 500 Euro. There was one bid of 250 Euro when I gave him a call. I went over to see/play the Tuba and I would have been happy to get the tuba for the 500 Euro he asked. But I’m Dutch so I asked him about the price (maybe I could save me 50 Euros or so).

The reaction of the guy made me almost fall of my chair!!! He told me:
“There is a bid of 250 Euros but that is not enough, I want at least 300 Eurosâ€
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Good buy Patrick - an impressive tuba! How does it play?

Your story reminds me of the purchase of my old Haag Eb. That was advertise on EBay with a starting price of GBP450. It was located not too far away, so I went to test play. I was then amazed when the seller said I could have it for GBP400 if I bought it there and then (it had only been on EBay 1 day). I was happy to oblige.
P@rick
bugler
bugler

Post by P@rick »

It plays as it looks…MASSIVE.
I’m a Eb tuba player. Occasionally (+/- 3 times a year) I have a Bb tuba in my hands when I help out in other bands. This does not happen often so it’s always heavy to play (I get jaw cramps) and have to watch the intonation. The problem is that I play on crappy sousaphones or Bb tubas when I help out.

But on this big mama it seems to go by itself. The pitch is good, intonation is much better…and that fat sound…it’s great! I think I’m in love :mrgreen: .
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

P@rick wrote:that fat sound…it’s great! I think I’m in love :mrgreen: .
I know what you mean - big tubas are addictive :lol:
ZNC Dandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ZNC Dandy »

Thats a gorgeous horn! Why can't I ever find a horn like that here in the U.S. What a beautiful horn.
P@rick
bugler
bugler

Post by P@rick »

ZNC Dandy wrote:Thats a gorgeous horn! Why can't I ever find a horn like that here in the U.S. What a beautiful horn.
Well...if you would live in Europe you would say "Why can't I ever find a big 4 piston valve front bell horn here in Europe" :wink:

And if you find one over here in the Netherlands they sell for 2000 Euro or more :(
TubaSailor
bugler
bugler

Gronitz!!

Post by TubaSailor »

Hi - just my two cents worth - I think they're early Gronitz - I have one just like it..even down to the "Flattened" curve between the 4th valve and main tuning slide.....If I every figure out how to post a Pic I will. Just for info - the one I have actually has a tapered bore, and each valve slide is a different bore. I wasn't aware that tapered bores started this early.
Rudy RMC50
Rudy 4345R
Mira 181-6GB
Gronitz BBb Kaiser (for sale)
Custom Kanstul 1662
King 4B
York pea-shooter
French Tuba in C
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

P@rick wrote:
ZNC Dandy wrote:Thats a gorgeous horn! Why can't I ever find a horn like that here in the U.S. What a beautiful horn.
Well...if you would live in Europe you would say "Why can't I ever find a big 4 piston valve front bell horn here in Europe" :wink:

And if you find one over here in the Netherlands they sell for 2000 Euro or more :(
And when I played with the 298th U.S. Army Band in Berlin, the British and German military musicians seriously wanted our white fiberglass sousaphones.

:roll:
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Another 'Kaiser' tuba...

More here:

http://thevillagetinker.com/Misc%20stuff.htm
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

LoyalTubist wrote:
P@rick wrote:

And when I played with the 298th U.S. Army Band in Berlin, the British and German military musicians seriously wanted our white fiberglass sousaphones.

:roll:
To each his own, I guess. If I was going to march a long distance and was a conscript band member like lots of the military Euros, I'd want a lighter horn, too.

Jeff "Those southern college marching band members who use the 20J must be young and crazy" Benedict
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

The Big Ben wrote:.... Jeff "Those southern college marching band members who use the 20J must be young and crazy" Benedict
I just sold three 1240/2340 King bell-front tubas to a high school that is just a few miles from Jacksonville State University (The 20J's). It seems as though this high school is a 'training ground' for the JSU 20J's.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Of coarse one can never know. Designers copy each other. As well they change their designs through the years.

Looking at the unusual leadpipe I'm guessing at a Weltklang.

There's one for sale in Holland at Muziekcentrum van Gorp.
http://www.muziekcentrumvangorp.nl/cata ... rtikel6854

Left under on the page. 990 euros.

-Pat[/img]
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

TubaTinker wrote:
The Big Ben wrote:.... Jeff "Those southern college marching band members who use the 20J must be young and crazy" Benedict
I just sold three 1240/2340 King bell-front tubas to a high school that is just a few miles from Jacksonville State University (The 20J's). It seems as though this high school is a 'training ground' for the JSU 20J's.
The King is a nice, strong basic but good sounding horn- just the thing for HS and more...

Mind you, I wasn't putting them down. You *would* have to be kind of young to be strong enough to A.) Play the horn, B.) March with the horn and, C.) Wear a wool uniform while playing and marching with the horn in 90 degree+ weather.

Must be quite the sound....

Jeff "A/C for me, please" Benedict
Jonathan Cruz
bugler
bugler

Post by Jonathan Cruz »

Here's my BBb kaiser Alex to compare. It was made in the 70's and the only modification was a change from clockwork to a newer valve set. They had messed up when they sent the valves. The first time they sent a valve set for the smaller 163. Then the messed up again. Oh, they got the right parts, but it was a suprise they arrived gold...hey, I'm not complaining. It does look very similar to the WW2 pics, but I think it's a weltklang mainly looking at the tuning slide brace positioning and lower guard. I feel for these guys. My boss at disney loved the sound of the alex...so much that the mouse had me using it in a mobile quintet! Reciently I aquired a baby Alex F. The two make a great compliment to each other. I also have an Alexander mouthpiece that came with the kaiser. It's the biggest thing I've ever seen. I'll have to post some pics later.
Jonathan Cruz
BBb Bass
Brass Band of Central Florida
www.bbcf.net