Arnold Jacobs playing the Vaughan Williams Concerto (DG LP)

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Arnold Jacobs playing the Vaughan Williams Concerto (DG LP)

Post by LoyalTubist »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Williams-Concerto-f ... dZViewItem

I saw this. It's not the best recording, but it is Jake.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by threedognate »

I remember hearing the story behind this recording a while ago - something like that it was recorded during a matinee performance (children's performance?) and that AJ was so displeased with the recording or the performance that he didn't want it released. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

The original recording date was cancelled when Daniel Berinboim's wife got ill. The orchestra had performed the Vaughan-Williams with Jacobs on tour so everybody was sharp after a number of performances so losing this date was a critical factor.

When the new date was announced, there was no time to rehearse but DB thought it would be fine anyway. They were also trying to squeeeze in several other delayed works in this new session. It had all the makings of a cluster fault. Jake had already asked for and been refused editorial input and final approval.

At the VW session, Jacobs wanted the orchestra to go through the concerto once without him, but DB insisted that he play and that they record a take.

In this first couple of run-throughs there were numerous stops to correct things in the orchestra, still DB insisted that everybody continue playing. He must have thought that the thing could be pasted together if they didn't get a good take.

After some discussion, some tempo changes were made and mics repositioned. Along about the fourth take, they were able to go all the way through without multiple stops. Yes, even the CSO has starts and stops though it is on a different level than most of our stops and starts.

I would assume by the fifth time through that most of us would be getting a bit tired, Mr. Jacobs was then in his sixties and I'm am sure he did though he never said so.

They "went through" the concerto two more times and the alloted time ran out.

What detracts, in my opinion, are the very obvious splices. At one point almost a half beat is dropped in the splice. The sound of the orchestra changes throughout the recording, the tempos go back and forth, the balance changes and the sound of the orchestra is different in spots.

Still, the quality of the solo performance shows much spectacular ability. He was, and sounds like, an immensley skilled performer.

These are the things DB should have worked out in a couple of run-throughs with the orchestra alone instead of beating up the soloist while they worked this stuff out.

I am relating this completely by memory from one phone conversation. If another student or acquaintance of Jacobs' has additions or corrections, I would appreciate the information myself.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.