Tiny Hawkes 4 valve Eb (?)

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

It's an eefer. This is an oldie, made before Boosey merged with Hawkes and Sons (to form Boosey & Hawkes). Obviously, the seller knows nothing of tuba history or he would know that. He knows nothing of tubas or he would tell you what key it is. Or how many valves it has--the fourth valve would be on the side, manipulated with the left hand (it's difficult to see if it has one or not). I'm a little wary of how unfocused the photograph is.
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Bill, I don't think so. With a 10.5" bell being only 2 feet tall, this looks like an old euphonium to me. 'Course if the pitchur warn't so goldanged fuzzy, it might be easier to say fer sure.
:roll:
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

Maybe so, Chuck. It's so difficult to tell with the fuzzy photo.
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Bob, I don't know if that's the first slide or a tuning slide in the leadpipe.

Heckuva auction strategy--post a photo that's far too fuzzy for anything to tell a thing. :roll:
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Compare the fuzzy photo with the following:

Hawkes & Son Eb tuba--bell is 13.75"

Hawkes & Son Euphonium--Bell is 10", height is 22"
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Notice the orientation of the 2nd valve slide, and I think that the fuzzy horn's got the first slide pulled out a ways...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Pop, not to make too much of this, since the auction's over, but I've never in my entire life seen a Boosey Eb with a 10" bell. Can you post a photo of your 10" bell-equipped Eb? Does the 2nd valve slide stick out at a right angle from the valve casing too?

I am really curious to see if Boosey ever made a 10" bell eefer.

I've seen a couple of the old Booseys, but the bell on them was close to 13". Note that the 4th valve tubing in the fuzzy photo also wraps around the top arch of the top bow.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Re: Bells Angels and eefers

Post by WakinAZ »

Pop Korn wrote:When I've worked out how to get pictures on to the site
1. Sign up for a free account at a photo hosting site like www.photobucket.com

2. Upload the pictures from your PC to that online site. Pictures will be stored on their server and then accessible anywhere on the web.

3. After the upload is complete, view the photo you wish to post here. Right-click on the picture and then select Properties. Copy the Address (URL).

4. On this forum, Write in your post the following:

Code:
[img].....paste%20the%20URL%20address%20here.....[/img]

([img]and[/img] can be manually typed or inserted using the buttons at the top of the compose/reply window)

5. THEN, before you SUBMIT your post, be sure to PREVIEW it first. You should see the image. If not, double check your code.

* http://photobucket.com works well and has a one-click link to copy a link for forums and messageboards so you don't have to do the Properties>copy the link thing outlined in the above.

There might be a sticky somewhere on this site that is better (I copied and edited this one from cichlid-forum.com, one of my other online haunts); if not perhaps one could be made, since this question comes up often.

Eric "a digital photo noob as well" L.