The marketing of a sh***y euphonium ....

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
oldbandnerd
5 valves
5 valves

The marketing of a sh***y euphonium ....

Post by oldbandnerd »

Some genius has finally realized how to market those sh***y little India horns :

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BLACK-BRANDED-E ... otohosting

Even though the seller is in Canada that's a India made horn . I know because I own one. The black and gold is really eye catching if you like that sort of thing. Really smarmy looking . 8)

BTW.... since my horn is pretty much worthless and I can't sell it to anyone becasue my conscience won't let me sell this piece of crap to some other sucker my horn will be turned into a fountain for the pond in my backyard . I'll have pictures of the project to post here when I get I am finished . :tuba:
oldbandnerd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by oldbandnerd »

Here's the story of my horn :
If I remember correctly I paid $80 for the horn a $100 for the shipping . Total genius move on my part !! You'd think that fact alone would have been a giant red flag. But I fell for it hook,line and sinker .

It's very small. About the size of a true baritone and it sounds more like one too. Really doesn't sound like a euphonium at all. But it's very heavy for it's size. I don't really know why it's so heavy.It is a conical bore instrument which probably keeps it from sounding like a trombone.

The mouthpiece it came with is small too. Between the size of a 61/2 AL and baritone mouthpiece. I found a Olds 12C that would fit the shank and used it instead of the small one it came with. The shank is a bit smaller then a normal small shank reciever .

The worst thing about it is it's intonation. It sucks. That's all I can say about it. Maybe a better musician could deal with better than I can.

The horn is totally functional. All slide pull easy and valves move freely. I think the valves are raw brass as they need to be cleaned often. The crappy pads have all but disintegrated
and need to be replaced even though the horn has barley been played .There are no spit valves .

The finish is interesting. I believe it is all chrome and no silver.It's very bright and has never tarnished but cleans very easily .

The case is very odd. Moulded to the shape and sewn together.Probably made of cheap vinyl . Barely padded enough inside to protect it. You get the horn out by lossening the cheap vinyl latch/buckle on the lid. When you open the lid you are looking down into bell of the horn.

It gets really stuffy from F down to Bb. You can forget about going lower than the Bb in the staff . The horn is difficult to play any lower .

Your kids would like this because of the size. They will be able to handle it easier than a full size euphonium .

Here's a link to hear me playing it with Olds 12C :
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=989119&t=4112
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

The middle school where I student-taught at had a bunch of those horns. Within a year all the plating had worn off the valves and they were virtually unmoveable. On the bright side, the school found a local repair guy who would just plate the valves, kinda an econo-econo valve job, for a very reasonable price. Adding that cost to the initial purchase price still came in pretty low for a total instrument cost.
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University