I think I've struck gold!!!

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

I think I've struck gold!!!

Post by TubaRay »

I used to covet one of these. I no longer do. The starting price on the mouthpiece is certainly impressive. I will be extremely impressed when someone actually steps up and bids on it.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Approx what was the original price of these?
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

bloke wrote:
Tubaryan12 wrote:Approx what was the original price of these?
Playing characteristics aside, I recall that the original DEALER net was too high for me to seriously consider for my OWN use...
...I'm thinking (c. early/mid '80s') c. $175 or so - NET.
To the best of my recollection, that sounds about right.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
jacojdm
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacojdm »

Street price was $275 or less in the mid to late 90s.
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

I got my two (a Deck 1 and a Deck 3) in the very early 90's, and I think the retail was around $250 when they first hit the street - I don't think they got out into the market before 1991 or so. They did get up to $300 I think before they were no longer available.

The Deck 1 is a smaller version of the Deck 3, which is very close to a Bach 24AW but not quite identical. The Deck 2 was a funnel-shaped version of the Deck 3 (which is bowl shaped). There was a flat-rimmed variant with the 'F' designation in the name, but the original rim is very comfortable.

I still have both and still use both as my first-line mouthpieces. My Deck 3, though, is truly special IMHO. It's the only heavy shell mouthpiece I've ever played that actually seems to have a tangible effect on the sound of the horn. Sure, it looks like a surplus WWII German hand grenade, but if anything ever happened to mine I'd probably look high and low to find another. The G&W mouthpieces look very comparable in terms of design but I've never played one.

They're also REALLY great fun to take through airport metal detectors or carry-on x-ray machines.

All that said, $475 is ridiculous, never mind $500. If this one sells both of mine are out the door tomorrow.
Rob. Just Rob.
KevinMadden
3 valves
3 valves

Post by KevinMadden »

I recall playing a Deck (forget which one precisely) this summer and finding it almost exactly the same as a $150 GW Caver, but with a rounder rim... I guess a $300 rounded rim
Ithaca College, B.M. 2009
University of Nebraska - Lincoln, M.M. 2017, D.M.A. 2020
Wessex Artiste
Wessex "Grand" BBb, Wessex Solo Eb, Wessex Dulce