Any opinions on this Amati

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
jhedrick
bugler
bugler

Any opinions on this Amati

Post by jhedrick »

Newbie Here - just started playing after a 30+ year hiatus. Any opinions from you who know what's what on this Amati? It would need some TLC obviously.

Thanks in advance

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Valve-BBb-Amati-T ... dZViewItem
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

My opinion is, that if you're just starting to play again after a 30 year hiatus, find someone on this BBS in your area to try ANY horn you're considering and make sure that it's a good on for what you want it for.

The wrong horn will be a dog no matter how cheap, and the right horn may warrent some careful consideration. Buying blind is always a crapshoot, even if it's a vaunted Mirafone 186.

No matter how good your restarted playing is, or isn't, there are lots of good people here that could help you, and all they might ask in return is a pint or two. Cheap insurance!
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

$400-$700 plus $200-300 worth of repairs (or more). Smells like a $1000 headache waiting to happen, even if it plays up to the sellers lukewarm description.

I would buy from a TubeNet sponsor with a return policy. A $1000 tuba could easily be like a $1000 car - might not get you very far. For that budget consider an old model King 2340 (aka 1240).

Where are you geographically? If you are anywhere near the east coast you could visit Dillons and Baltimore Brass.

Midwest, check out Dan Schultz at this link http://www.thevillagetinker.com/horns_for_sale.htm He has a nice little four valve Reynolds that is probably pretty sweet for $1200. I own the 3v version of this horn and it rocks -outplays most 4/4 horns.

Left coast, Ferguson or Oberloh. Other parts of the country, will advise...

Buy your second or third horn off eBay, not the axe that will begin your re-entry into playing. I would also consider buying from a TubeNet member (regular user, not sponsor) from the ads here - pretty good group of folks, specially for the internet.

Eric "who thinks there is a good possibility that Amati would disappoint" L.
jhedrick
bugler
bugler

Post by jhedrick »

Thanks for the input - your points are well taken. I think I'll just stick with my old H.N. White sousaphone until I save up a bit more.

Jim
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

I'll bet that H.N. White plays better than most of the horns on eBay anyway!

Also, one of the TubeNet sponsors might take the sousaphone in trade, or you might be able to trade/sell it with a fellow TubeNetter.

Eric