for those of you into old school drum corps

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
The Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by The Jackson »

I'm not familiar with these G bugles. Does this one have one valve or two?
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Bandmaster »

the elephant wrote:If you want to go old school and actually get a good horn you cannot beat an Olds Ultratone piston/rotor contrabass bugle. They play very well.
You mean one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0195581905
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon
Conn 2J CC
bugler
bugler

Post by Conn 2J CC »

I've got one of the Olds Ultratone piston/rotor Contras too. For about ten years it was my only "Tuba", which left an awful lot to be desired. Mine is in slightly worse condition than the one in the auction Bandmaster mentioned. There was one on eBay a couple of years ago I would have loved to have bid on, but didn't have the money at the time. It looked almost pristine and went for about $300, including a case that was in great condition. Although the Ultratones may play better than the Getzens, I'd still say mine is like playing a chrome plated bazooka with a Tuba mouthpiece. Oh well. At least I got it for free after helping instruct a corp I had marched with one summer. You can't beat that price.
Dave
Low Brass musician and Bass Guitarist
OldsRecording
5 valves
5 valves

Post by OldsRecording »

the elephant wrote:
Bandmaster wrote:
the elephant wrote:If you want to go old school and actually get a good horn you cannot beat an Olds Ultratone piston/rotor contrabass bugle. They play very well.
You mean one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0195581905
Yep, that's it!

Much larger, better sounding, blowing and playing contra. The DEG is a very small guy.
I played Mozart's Horn concerto #2 on an Ultratone at the Individual and Ensemble competition one year at the DCA Championships. Yes, they are cool horns.
bardus est ut bardus probo,
Bill Souder

All mushrooms are edible, some are edible only once.