The Yamaha YBB-103 Thread

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Mister JP
bugler
bugler

Re: YBB-103 - These are getting pretty yard to locate…

Post by Mister JP »

Having a beginner playing one of these in grade school or Jr. High would have been a fantastic addition to the group. I never even played in a group WITH a tuba until I was in high school (I'm a converted woodwind player)

Jr. High band directors... with an endorsement like this from The St. Louis Kid, pick it up!
Roll that beautiful bean footage...
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

bloke wrote:This is a great little tuba to cradle over the left arm and play standing up, as it is the only-ever front-action version of the (same bell/bows/etc.) 10X Yamaha 3/4 student BBb.

I've found, over the years, that if I'm looking to purchase one of these, I can generally get a better deal on one if they are sprayed with gold lacquer and branded "Holton".
There's another one on daBay right now (March 19) a lot cheaper but kind of a beater. Pickup only in WI or MN.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Cut it to CC. :twisted: :evil:
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

cjk wrote:Cut it to CC. :twisted: :evil:
Send me one and I'll give it a try. I just got some new hacksaw blades!
:evil:
SinNawlins
bugler
bugler

Post by SinNawlins »

How does a Japan Made YBB-104 compare and are they as desirable? Just curious.
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

bloke wrote:
the elephant wrote:I was told that those Detroit guys like "lots of fundamental".

What spin do they prefer? Also, are they pursuing superstrings as the fundamental? Would they prefer the material prepared in 10 or 26 dimensions? Lots of issues up in the air.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
PhilipJ
bugler
bugler

Post by PhilipJ »

the elephant wrote:Funny, but when I posted this I would have sworn that the opening bid was only $1,250. Can they raise a price during an auction or did I just fail to read it carefully?
Yes, they can (as long as there are no bids), and no, you didn't. :)
ztuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ztuba »

I played on one of those while demonstrating tuba at a middle school. I could not believe the huge sound I was able to produce on it... that thing is almost as small as my tenor tuba!
Kalison K2001
Norwegian Star
JinBoa F Cimbasso
Giddings and Webster 4 life
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

The Big Ben wrote:
cjk wrote:Cut it to CC. :twisted: :evil:
Send me one and I'll give it a try. I just got some new hacksaw blades!
:evil:
Would rather cut it to Eb :mrgreen:

J.c.S.
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
SinNawlins
bugler
bugler

Post by SinNawlins »

And now the rest of the story (or at least some additional story)...

After seeing this thread and reading up on the YBB-103, I chased a couple of these and they were quickly gone by the time i got there. Finally I bought the one on eBay tonite for $1311 + $35 shipping from a music store in the Houson area, they say it is in good condition.

It appears to be newer and nicer than the previous one Witchita Band had on eBay (above) for $1350 + $147. The auction suddenly ended and when I called they said it had sold. There was one found through Google at Tuba Exchange for $1500 that they when I called they said was sold. So when this one came up on eBay this week i bought it. It is taking a bit of a chance but it appears to be pretty nice except for a fair dent in the outside end of the big bottom bow. Do these affect playability? Are they tough to remove?

I probably am taking a bit of a chance but it has proven hard to locate a good one, so I decided to take a flyer. At least they will refund within 7 days if there is a problem. I wanted a little tuba I can learn on and later use for walk about gigs, so it had to be small and light. I had one dealer tell me a Conn 15J was also 3/4 size and would be easy to carry, but he must have played some BAT's because I found it huge and heavy for lugging around while playing - it measured >18 lbs whereas one source said the YBB-103 is 13 lbs. For a 64 year old trombone guy starting on tuba, it seems lugging a tuba around is a lot harder than it looks, and my emphaisis was quickly focused on "small and light" with decent tone and reasonable price.

Thanks for the tips. I may be calling one of you repair guys for a tuneup.
kegmcnabb
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kegmcnabb »

Hey,

I bought the one from Wichita and it is actually in much better shape than the photo indicated. No real dents or damage. They spot lacquered the areas that needed it but it still has quite a few scratches. It also has a brand new factory lead-pipe. Slides are smooth and easy. Not a beauty but a good, solid little horn with a case that was much better than their description had me expecting. :D

Man....is this horn LOUD for a little bugger. :shock: I am having a blast. I have already taken it to several rock and singer/songwriter gigs and it sounds great. Easy to carry. Solid enough to feel comfortable in a bar. It even keeps up pretty well with my community band although I will probably use my Cerveny for concerts.

And....
It fits in the back of my Prius...case and all.

If you want a fun, tiny tuba...this is it!
Craig McClelland
SinNawlins
bugler
bugler

Post by SinNawlins »

I can hardly wait till I get mine. The one from Witchita was nice and I would have jumped at it. You are so right - these are getting very hard to find. The YBB 621 looks like a fine successor but at an internet price of $7433 is very pricey (no case mentioned), even if 4 valve. There is a like new YBB-621 on eBay right now and he is taking a beating asking $5000 with a case (CA pickup only) for it.

As time goes buy there seem to be fewer and fewer of these YBB-103's up for sale. They started life humbly but, now out of production 17 years, seem headed for small classic status. :tuba:

I saw one reference that said the YBB-103 is 13 LBS. Does that seem right? What does a BAT like a 6/4 Fafner or similar BAT weigh?
Todd S. Malicoate
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Todd S. Malicoate »

The latest lister of a YBB-103 wrote:NO major dents or dings.

Wow...one has to wonder how big a dent would have to be for this lister to consider it "major."
SinNawlins
bugler
bugler

Post by SinNawlins »

I like how that YBB 103 seller says it has "some" finish wear and that it is a "Big heavy instrument." Maybe he plays the piccolo or fife.

Can you CC guys explain to me why you would cut this to a CC. It seems like on a small horn such as this, the upper range in BBb would already be good enough, and cutting it to CC wouldn't help the low range. Would you cut it just to get the CC fingerings? Just a dumb question from a neophyte.
SinNawlins
bugler
bugler

Post by SinNawlins »

that is interesting because there seem to be some very nice CC tubas that are more plentiful and sometimes sell for less than nice BBb tubas. Top of the line CCs are always very expensive and in demand, but it seems over-supply in the reasonably priced ones makes them a bit more available compared to BBb.

If yall were musicians but new to tubas and having to learn the fingering, which would yall pick? CC or BBb? Why?
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

KiltieTuba wrote:Its mostly easy to remember that Bb = Bb = open, not C is actually Bb which is actually first valve (?).
:shock: :? :lol:

(very reminiscent of "Yogi Berra Explains Jazz" :wink: )
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

SinNawlins wrote:that is interesting because there seem to be some very nice CC tubas that are more plentiful and sometimes sell for less than nice BBb tubas. Top of the line CCs are always very expensive and in demand, but it seems over-supply in the reasonably priced ones makes them a bit more available compared to BBb.

If yall were musicians but new to tubas and having to learn the fingering, which would yall pick? CC or BBb? Why?
Neither

Eb. There are plenty of old method books, and you can get an affordable, good instrument that will give the learner better seccess more quickly.

Teaching in school, my decision might differ.... but If _I_ was starting, I'd start on Eb, not BBb or CC.

YMMV

J.c.S.
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
tokuno
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tokuno »

I sold mine a little over a year ago. No dents, no dings, and iirc, I sold it for a measley ~$950. Ah, well, win some, lose some.

I youtubed in anticipation of selling the horn online, to show that the valves sealed and prove it played. Ended up selling it locally, but the youtube lives on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6QnmejlX9A

Its form factor and low weight make it a very convenient luggable. Numerous folks asked me if it was a euphonium.

Biggest irritant for me with that horn (and the 621) is the valve angle. My wrist hurts unless I hold the horn vertically, in which case, with my elbow thrown out, it feels like I'm playing an accordion. :?
SinNawlins
bugler
bugler

Post by SinNawlins »

I did see your Youtube video when looking for a YBB-103. That was cool. It does seem the market is tightening for these little tubas (and other quality tubas) at the same time the stock market and real estate mkts have crashed (and recovered somewhat but still down ~1/3). That says something about the value of quality tubas. Having said all that, I have yet to convince my wife that tubas are good investments and we should own a bunch of them for our retirment...
SinNawlins
bugler
bugler

Re: YBB-103 - Mouthpiece Question...

Post by SinNawlins »

I just bought a YBB-103 and have tried to tune it with my Korg tuner. It plays sharp just about everywhere. Is that just me? The mouthpiece included is an Olds 24AWI. Is this an odd mouthpiece for use with this tuba? On my Korg tuner, it averages 30-40 cents sharp across the board with the main tuning slide pulled almost all the way out. As a trombone guy, I don't know much about tubas, but it seems strange someone would have cut this horn to be a B natural horn. Is this Olds 24AWI mouthpiece a bad choice for the YBB-103?

I just recently tried a Conn 15J and did not have any of these tuning issues. It was great across the board with a #2 mouthpiece. I liked the voice, except for the size and weight. I wanted something smaller and lighter, so opted for the YBB-103. What gives with the YBB-103 and the Olds 24AWI mp? It does not look like this mp goes into the mouthpipe very far, so my guess tells me it should be sounding a bit flat - not sharp. What is going on?

Is there a website or old thread you guys could recommend for instructions, tuning a 3V tuba like the YBB-103?

Thanks.