The Yamaha YBB-103 Thread

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Re: YBB-103 - These are getting pretty yard to locate…

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

KiltieTuba wrote:Its mostly easy to remember that Bb = Bb = open, not C is actually Bb which is actually first valve (?).
:shock: :? :lol:

(very reminiscent of "Yogi Berra Explains Jazz" :wink: )
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

SinNawlins wrote:that is interesting because there seem to be some very nice CC tubas that are more plentiful and sometimes sell for less than nice BBb tubas. Top of the line CCs are always very expensive and in demand, but it seems over-supply in the reasonably priced ones makes them a bit more available compared to BBb.

If yall were musicians but new to tubas and having to learn the fingering, which would yall pick? CC or BBb? Why?
Neither

Eb. There are plenty of old method books, and you can get an affordable, good instrument that will give the learner better seccess more quickly.

Teaching in school, my decision might differ.... but If _I_ was starting, I'd start on Eb, not BBb or CC.

YMMV

J.c.S.
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
tokuno
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tokuno »

I sold mine a little over a year ago. No dents, no dings, and iirc, I sold it for a measley ~$950. Ah, well, win some, lose some.

I youtubed in anticipation of selling the horn online, to show that the valves sealed and prove it played. Ended up selling it locally, but the youtube lives on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6QnmejlX9A

Its form factor and low weight make it a very convenient luggable. Numerous folks asked me if it was a euphonium.

Biggest irritant for me with that horn (and the 621) is the valve angle. My wrist hurts unless I hold the horn vertically, in which case, with my elbow thrown out, it feels like I'm playing an accordion. :?
SinNawlins
bugler
bugler

Post by SinNawlins »

I did see your Youtube video when looking for a YBB-103. That was cool. It does seem the market is tightening for these little tubas (and other quality tubas) at the same time the stock market and real estate mkts have crashed (and recovered somewhat but still down ~1/3). That says something about the value of quality tubas. Having said all that, I have yet to convince my wife that tubas are good investments and we should own a bunch of them for our retirment...
SinNawlins
bugler
bugler

Re: YBB-103 - Mouthpiece Question...

Post by SinNawlins »

I just bought a YBB-103 and have tried to tune it with my Korg tuner. It plays sharp just about everywhere. Is that just me? The mouthpiece included is an Olds 24AWI. Is this an odd mouthpiece for use with this tuba? On my Korg tuner, it averages 30-40 cents sharp across the board with the main tuning slide pulled almost all the way out. As a trombone guy, I don't know much about tubas, but it seems strange someone would have cut this horn to be a B natural horn. Is this Olds 24AWI mouthpiece a bad choice for the YBB-103?

I just recently tried a Conn 15J and did not have any of these tuning issues. It was great across the board with a #2 mouthpiece. I liked the voice, except for the size and weight. I wanted something smaller and lighter, so opted for the YBB-103. What gives with the YBB-103 and the Olds 24AWI mp? It does not look like this mp goes into the mouthpipe very far, so my guess tells me it should be sounding a bit flat - not sharp. What is going on?

Is there a website or old thread you guys could recommend for instructions, tuning a 3V tuba like the YBB-103?

Thanks.
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

bloke wrote:s.b.t.t.
?!?

On another note, I not only started on the 103 (not evident when mentioning my preference for an Eb cut). But just purchased one at a screaming deal. They are nice full-range dixie instruments (sometimes a 3-valve Eb feels limiting) and I can loan it to students who need something from time to time. Probably pay for itself.

Cool. Used to hate 'em... then played their replacements and the competitions'. There isn't competition.

J.c.S.
SousaSaver
5 valves
5 valves

Re: YBB-103 - These are getting pretty hard to locate…

Post by SousaSaver »

I really like these small Tubas. For one they are very easy to get a big sound out of. Anyone who has been playing for years will EASILY over blow one without trying. This means that beginning students should be able to easily get a big sound out of it.

I like them. They are light and compact. I might know a place that has one in stock too...
SinNawlins
bugler
bugler

Post by SinNawlins »

I also have one that I would part with nowadays. When I get a moment, I will post it.
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

Okay, bloke, what is "s.b.t.t." ?
tubaforce
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tubaforce »

Hi!
I've seen/played quite a few 103's!
They play well, and the cases are fairly sturdy compared to my other starter BBb choice, a Besson 727. The original Besson case has a CARDBOARD bell cover, like their old Euphonium cases! The front valves of the 103 are nice compared to the Bessons' upright action. I think the Besson produces a better overall sound, but they take English shank MP's :( I had the last 727 fitted with a new receiver, about $50.00, and the students parents saved that much on a MP alone...
Al
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

SinNawlins wrote:I also have one that I would part with nowadays. When I get a moment, I will post it.
PM sent
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

I have both a YBB-103 and a YCB-621 (extended to BBb) and I have played both of them for over 40 years on all sorts of gigs. Even though they are the same size bell and major tubes, the 103 is much better for "honking" - as in outdoor situations or in large bands when you want to be heard. The 621 plays more in tune and the 4th valve is nice, but I never seem to be able to get quite the same bark out of it as the 103.
They are both great 3/4 tubas - too bad they stopped production of the 103...
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

This is an old thread but I'll post anyway. Yeah... the 103 tubas are pretty good fun to play. As I speak I'm on my way to Florida with two of them... a standard three-valved one and one that I've added a fourth piston to. Both may be sold on this trip (but maybe not).

These are very small compact horns and difficult to add a fourth piston to partly because the leadpipe enters the cluster through the third valve. That makes for lots of work to relocate several of the tuning circuits. That couple with the fact that it basically takes two horns to make one in order to get the donor parts. Parts have been out of production for some time and there are two versions of valve sections... one with fine or course threads on the top and bottom caps... and two different styles of guides and pistons.

Fun horns. Yamaha should still be making a four-valve version especially for student use. Maybe WESSEX will copy it some day!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Eastman has something similar....

http://www.eastmanwinds.com/ebb234" target="_blank
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
kingconn
bugler
bugler

Post by kingconn »

This looks like a rotary valve based on the same horn. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEMPEST-AGILITY ... xy4t1SfT6p" target="_blank
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

There are no 'copies' even close to the Yamaha YBB-103. Maybe a similar bore and bell size but that's about it. The Yammie is quite a bit of a departure from any other tuba out there. For one thing... I don't know of many modern tubas where the main slide is in the leadpipe and the leadpipe goes into the third valve. The pistons also all interchange and that alone makes the tuning slide circuity somewhat unusual.

The fact is... the Yammie is so unconventional that I'm surprised it performs as well as it does. It was probably introduced only to be a crappy middle-school instruments and Yamaha had no ambitions to make it attractive to anyone beyond an eight-grader. They could have developed the horn into one with at least four valves and made it attractive to older musicians.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

58mark wrote:Mack brass sells that same horn,. I played one at tmea and was really impressed
I keep hoping he'll show up at Ft Myer. :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
sousaphonehero
bugler
bugler

Post by sousaphonehero »

This seems to be somewhat similar with four valves.
Quality could be hit or miss.
Price seems really low.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schiller-Americ ... Sw8w1X~96v" target="_blank
Miraphone 186 CC 5v
Conn 21J
Buescher 4/4 Eb
Amati Kaiser Baritone
Wessex Trombone
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Re: The Yamaha YBB-103 Thread

Post by humBell »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192096582296

They are still out there and worth playing in my humble opinion...

I got craigslist one last month, and have been getting to know it recently.
Thanks for playing!