Anyone know anything about this horn?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

Those are generally good tubas.

They are well built and have a good tuba sound.

They are NOT a "York" sound. They are a blended horn with an American flare, but a decidedly German (Bohm & Meinl) heritage.

The valves on these are normally quite good and the pitch/scale is very workable. These horns are worth even more with the upright bell.

For your needs this horn should more than make do I would guess. However, if your gigs involve a lot of standing/walking, these horns are built quite heavy, so keep that in mind.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Anyone know anything about this horn?

Post by Rick Denney »

hailstorm2 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 04829&rd=1

I am looking to pick up a BBb horn to use in the local community band and polka band and for my general amusement.
If you don't mind the forward bell, I can hardly think of a better instrument of that size (largish 4/4) in BBb. Other instruments are better at specific things, but the York Master is an excellent overall package. I have one and have played it extensively, though I use the upright bell with mine.

If the valves are in good condition, they are among the best ever made. The instrument was made by Boehm and Meinl, probably in the 60's, in the same factory that was purchased in the early 90's by Walter Nirschl. The instrument is similar to a B&M Symphonic, and even to some Marzans, but it is heavier than both in terms of metal thickness.

The fourth valve on these instruments is dreamy. A previous owner of mine (a top pro) wanted pictures of the fourth valve after it came to me because he was pursuing getting Hirsbrunner to modify the fourth valve on his CC to follow similar lines.

Don't expect to find an upright detachable bell for this instrument. I believe it would be possible to replace the entire bell stack with a Miraphone 186 bell, trimmed approximately four inches on the narrow end. I've measured it up, and I think it would work. The Miraphone bell expands at a faster rate than the detachable bell stack on the YM, and I think that might well be an improvement. And it would be a reasonable thing to do--the outlines of this instrument follow the American approach, but it is really at least as German in is sound concept as it is American. At anything like the current bid price, it would be well within the value of the resulting instrument to give it a try, in my opinion. I paid much more for mine (though mine had an interesting provenance).

Rick "who thinks any credible competition would cost much more" Denney
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Anyone know anything about this horn?

Post by Chuck(G) »

Nice horns, with a somewhat unpredictable high end. IMOHO, these play better with the forward bell than with the upright bell.

I've owned two of these and the Marzan derivative. I take exception to Rick's saying that the Marzan model is lighter--it's not--it's basically the same horn with Fred's valve cluster substituted.

I've considered that one of the old taller removable King or Reynolds bells might work with this creature. The upright bell that comes with the YM is pretty short in comparison and the King just might lose enough height to work. You;'d have to scavenge the flange from the forward bell to make the changeover.

Talk to Sam Gnagey--he's probably still got a bunch of King bells from his frankentuba projects that might work.

The body case that comes with these horns, on the other hand is pretty flimsy, although the bell case is built like a steamer trumk. Go figure.

I made a CC frankentuba with one of these, using a GR York Eb monster bell and bottom bow . The result is a very nice-sounding compact 4/4--I've gotten several coments on how good the horn sounds.