What is it?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

What is it?

Post by Lew »

Can anyone tell from looking the model and key of this tuba?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 06761&rd=1

Just wondering, I have no affiliation with the seller of this horn.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

On Oct-10-04 at 08:28:35 PDT, seller added the following information:

If I had to guess, I would guess this is a C tuba. However, somehow I'll find out exactly what this thing is and post the answer in the next one or two days. How can a person forget so much someone asks? There's a good reason I quit after my softmore year of high school. If you want details, please contact my Psychologist at his number... It's 555-1212.
That's just ridiculous. I also can't believe that a tuba player would set a tuba on the floor resting on the valve section for any length of time.

Well, from the length of the 2nd valve tubing, I would guess that it's BBb; however, I didn't know that Mirafone sold BBb rotary tubas with a 5th valve.

I wouldn't bet on it, though.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Looks like a 186-5U BBb to me.
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

Looks like a BBb 186 to me. I'm more confident in the BBb though than the 186. I base that on the way the tubing goes through the valves then kind of "juts out" before going back to the tuning slide. On a CC, the tubing does a simple 90 degree bend, and on their F tubas I believe the tuning slide is vertically oriented (besides, there is clearly too much tubing for an Eb or an F). 5-valve BBb Mirafones are rare, but I know of a guy who has one from about 1980, so it's not unprecedented.

Still, I'd get him to CALL it a BBb, so you have recourse if I'm wrong!
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

It looked like a BBb to me too, but the 5th valve kinda had me curious. I believe that you can get 5 valve BBb Mirafones today, but could you 17 years ago?
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Chuck(G) wrote:Looks like a 186-5U BBb to me.
I'll second that guess.
sean chisham
Louis
bugler
bugler

Post by Louis »

Subwoofer wrote:Something about this whole deal seems a little fishy.
Just a little... A Junior High kid with a 5-valve Mirafone?

I have no interest in the horn, but I plan to watch the auction... The seller's updates are very interesting.

I'm a euphonium player with very limited knowledge of tuba gear... But does the fact that the bell says "12501" right below the word "Mirafone" mean anything (relavant to identifying what key horn it is)?

Louis
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

schlepporello wrote:
Louis wrote:But does the fact that the bell says "12501" right below the word "Mirafone" mean anything (relavant to identifying what key horn it is)?
I've wondered the same thing myself. I'll bet Charlie might know, or Klaus.
That'd be the serial number. About 1980-81, I'd guess.
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Bandmaster »

Lew wrote:It looked like a BBb to me too, but the 5th valve kinda had me curious. I believe that you can get 5 valve BBb Mirafones today, but could you 17 years ago?
When I was in college back in 1974 a fellow member of the band's tuba section bought a brand new 5 valve 186 BBb Miraphone, so yes, they were available at least 30 years ago! I think I still have photos if you need to see it.
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon