That Miraphone horn on ebay, I know what it is....

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

I don't want to get into some tuba-smack-down over this, but please go back and look at your CC tuba, compared to these photos:
____BBb____________CC___
ImageImage

EBAY PHOTO

Ignore the 5th valve; BBb and CC tubas have both been available with both styles of 5th valve, and with no 5th at all. The difference between a BBb and a CC would be indistinguishable in this photo.

Instead, notice the difference in the tubing as it exits the valves -- the dead give-away on Miraphone 18x's between BBb and CC models. In the CC tuba the tubing exits the valve cluster, comes down and executes a simple 90-degree bend to the viewer's left, directly into the tuning slide. In the BBb tuba, it first bends about 45 degrees to the viewer's right, then 135 degrees left before the tuning slide. The same difference occurs above the valve cluster, although it is difficult to see the simple 90 degree bend in the CC tuba because of the 5th valve.

Also, notice the difference in ratio of length/width of the body of the instrument. The BBb is somewhat longer, like the instrument on ebay. Finally, note that the CC tuba leadpipe is almost exactly at the height of the top bow, while the BBb tuba is a bit below the top bow -- again, like the ebay pic.

Please have a look at your CC, and at the ebay photo, and see if my observations aren't correct.
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

The 'S' series 186's have no bell ring to engrave, and no engraving on the caps. Here again, this is the same regardless of BBb or CC.
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

i think regardless, given this horn is legit (plays fine, isnt' stolen etc) it will make some1 a good horn for a good price.

im just lil suspicious with the way this seller acts, his lack of knowledge and a few other things.. which is the only real reason I haven't placed a bid.
Louis
bugler
bugler

Post by Louis »

schlepporello wrote:Good Lord! The kid's a moron!
What's incredible is that apparently he's NOT a kid! Jr. High School in 1987... Then later he says 1995-97 and then corrects it to be 1985-87... Whatever. If he's about 13 in 1987, that makes him 18 and graduating in about 1991 or '92... That makes him about 30 years old now!

You know, who cares if it's BBb or CC? For 2,800 bucks, and if it's in as good condition as it looks (ha ha), if it turns out to be not what the buyer wanted, he's going to make a nice profit reselling it.

It never ceases to amaze me how much money people throw away when they sell things on eBay that they know nothing about. Good grief.

Well, it's one of the hottest low brass auctions I've ever seen, with close to 3,300 hits on the page. It's being discussed everywhere on these web forums. It even popped up on the Trombone-L list.

Louis
Louis
bugler
bugler

Post by Louis »

Sorry for the double dip...

But if you look at this additional photo that the seller put up on another site...

http://www.msnusers.com/MyIPAQPocketPCP ... PhotoID=20

The tube coming out of the 5th valve looks quite different than the one on the 5V CC in Joe's picture here. Might that be evidence that it is not a CC?

Louis
Normal
bugler
bugler

Post by Normal »

The saga continues. The first seller put a bid on this auction then retracted it within 45 seconds saying he could not contact the second seller. If nothing else this auction is making for good entertainment.

:roll:
Norm Miller

King 2341S BBb
Yamaha YBL 612 Bass Trombone

Willamette Valley Concert Band
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

Grooving for Heaven wrote:Why is Schlep bidding on this thing? He's got to know it's a fake.
Well, the "Fake" is presented much nicer than the original.

Yeah, it is humorous that the original seller put up a bid and retracted it. The original seller, I don't beleive, has enough common sense to go to the folks at eBay and let them know that this is a fraud.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165