Cerveny F Tuba

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Cerveny F Tuba

Post by Uncle Buck »

Anybody know anything about this model? Obviously, a 4-valve F is going to have it's limitations, but does anybody know anything about the qualities of this model from about 15-20 years ago? Would this horn be worth adding a fifth valve, or on a tighter budget, a mechanism for adjusting the main tuning slide while playing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 45908&rd=1
Contramark
bugler
bugler

Post by Contramark »

I bought a Amati F tuba off of Ebay about 2 years ago. It was also 4 valves and obviously older than this one.

I wrote the cerveny factory and asked how much it would be to get a 5th valve kit, and the kit alone was over $1,000. That wasn't even counting how much it woul dhave cost for somone to install it.

It is at $1500 right now. If you need a good F tuba and you have $1500 to spare, i would recommend looking for a used Miraphone 180-5U. I bought a 180 because it had a fifth valve. i got it for $1600, and it served me well.

Than I saved saved saved and bought a MW 45slp.

Mark
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

I am very happy with my small Cerveny F. Older and slightly smaller than the EBay one but overall similar. Not quite as easy to play as a Yamaha 621 but wonderful sound. Yeah the 5th partial is out but guess what ... I don't use it. 12 for the A, 23 for Ab, 4 for G; 12 does work for F#. All other intonation issues are very manageable. Feels funky around the low C but but still very useable once you get used to it. Horn is otherwise very responsive. Except for one bunghole, everyone who has heard it has loved it. Did I mention the wonderful sound?

P.S. I am sure many repairmen have "spare parts" lying around and could probably do a 5th valve for somewhere around a grand.
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Miah wrote:Here is a link to some of his stuff
http://www.yankelswarehouse.com/brasswinds.html
I have exchanged e-mail a few times with him but it is just not in the cards right now to buy another horn
Steve's a good egg--one of the locals here bought the Steyr BBb and it's a very nice horn for the money. The new owner's completely satisfied.

I'd pass on the Amati piston-valved stuff, though. Amati isn't known for its great pistons.

The Amati CC looks for all the world to be the Amati version of a Piggy. Probably not a bad deal for someone.
jmerring
3 valves
3 valves

Cerveny F

Post by jmerring »

I am the current owner of the horn in question (comments regarding it, precede this). It is on E-Bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT). I bought it, thinking I would easily pick it up. I have been set straight; it would take me far too long to master an F, after 30+ years on BBb and CC. The horn has a very nice, typical small F sound.

If you would like to discuss this a little fuurther (hope); please contact me.

Jim
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

About 18 months ago I played an Amati 4-rotary F tuba for an evning of chamber music (with about 8 horns....) It had clock springs. I was surprised at how well it played. It took me a little bit to get used to the lack of the 5th valve but it had a sweet sound and very reasonable intonation. I dont' know how that one would compare to the one on ebay, but that is my experience with Amati.
MA