I have a question... Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

I have a question...

Postby BigDirtyMosh » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:23 pm

...about a euphonium I own. This is my first post on the forum, so first let me say hello to everyone :)

Okay, back to the euphonium question. Well, let's set this up correctly here. I'm a third-year, full-time student at Ohio State University and am going to start a minor in photography (in addition to a Journalism major) next quarter; the only problem is I need to improve my point-and-shoot camera setup to a great SLR camera setup. I have always wanted to do this but now it's becoming a necessity. A good SLR set up costs alot of money, easily over $1,500-$2,000, as I'm sure you know :)

I don't have that much money at the moment and need to in a few weeks, so I have been finding things to sell online that I don't use... I had completely forgotten about my concert baritone/euphonium. Here is a link to the exact model:

http://www.getzen.com/background/baritone/8230.shtml

The one I own basically has that sheen and appearance, but there is a bend in the bell I am having fixed next week. So here's my ultimate question:

How much will a Getzen student euphonium sell for these days on eBay with a handful of cosmetic dents? I paid around $1,300 for it brand new, so I figure at least half that would be good news. However I'm seeing foreign-made horns labeling "German Engineering" going for a measley $175.

Any help will be INTENSELY appreciated.
BigDirtyMosh

Postby bloke » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:47 pm

so I figure at least half that would be good news

one honest opinion:

I think you should be prepared for somewhat less than good news...

...but we'll wish you the very best with it!
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Chuck(G) » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:01 pm

The problem is that second-hand stores, pawnshops and online auctions are full of 3-valve student bariphoniums. IOW, there's no shortage of them, which is going to affect what you can get.

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com ... cview=0x13

$175 buy it now for a Holton in really decent condition, other than the crummy lacquer being offered by what must be a pawnshop. Were one to walk in and bargain in person, the price would probably be considerably lower.

Just one man's opinion...
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Thanks...

Postby BigDirtyMosh » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:56 pm

...for the unpleasant reality check :) I might as well keep it then. Perhaps it will be worth my while (or some kid's) down the road?

Thanks for the help!
BigDirtyMosh

Return to Off-Site deals and Ads