BAVARIAN ?????????? saxonian ??????? Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

BAVARIAN ?????????? saxonian ???????

Postby cjk » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:29 am

You'd kinda think that the seller would figure out exactly what the horn is before they would expect a buyer to spend THIS much money on the thing, don't ya think? Looks kinda like a 3/4 Rudi BBb, but I've never seen a Rudi without engraving and the specs aren't quite right (but are close, he could measure the outside of the tubes to get .750 instead of .730)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 54242&rd=1

And this magic tuba :wink: will probably end up being the highest priced (in final bid AND repairs needed) of any three valve BBb tuba ever:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 90132&rd=1

(fixed my link, doh!)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by cjk on Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Lew » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:59 am

You posted the same link twice. Was this the 3 valve tuba you were thinking of:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

The other one looks like a Cerveny 681 to me. $4600 is absolutely nuts for that horn if it is a Cerveny, not to mention $6600. Maybe he used the "blue book" value?
Last edited by Lew on Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Matthew Gilchrest » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:13 pm

The one tuba is almost definitely a Rudy.

The bumpers are clear neoprene.

The valve stems have the same "industrial" look as a Rudy.

The thumbring, ferrules, and receiver look like most every Rudy I've seen.

I think the clear nylon tube around the bell clinches it for me. Rudy's and MW's always come with that. I know that this ring and the bumbers can be added aftermarket, but I think that these are OEM parts.

The lacquer also appears to be Rudy, especially from the looks of the second valve slide.

Who knows...

I could be way off.

On the Whole-Tone tuba...

It may be the highest yet, but I t would have to be very high. That old York 3-valve moster BBb in pretty good shape went for something around $7K :shock: on eBay.

I find eBay to be more entertaining every day.
Returning to playing after a nearly 15 year hiatus...
Current Horn: Dillon/Walters/Conn CC
Past Horns: 186 (BBb), YCB-822, 188 (CC), YFB-621, VMI Neptune (piston), M-W 32, York Eb (3v, old and big), Besson 994, Holton/York/Miraphone 6/4 BBb Frankenhorn
Matthew Gilchrest
4 valves
4 valves

Postby cjk » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:46 pm

Yeah, I agree, very Rudi looking (even though the bumpers and bell rim can be replaced pretty easy). One thing that's different from the Rudi I used to own is the brace that holds the leadpipe on. Every Rudi I've ever seen had a little ring as part of the brace. The other is the serial number. The only Rudi tubas that had serial numbers were those imported by Custom Music, but those would have had engraving on the bell.

Soooooooooo, in summary, I still really have no idea :wink:

Christian
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:17 pm

I sold a couple of unmarked brand-new RM BBb's a few years ago...a 3/4 and a 5/4. This was back during "old" tubenet. Some tubenet dumbass anonymously accused me of representing a couple of "cheap" Amati tubas Rudy Meinl's...but I knew better, as I'm quite the Bavarian expert.

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Statman » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:09 pm

Bloke,
First of all, does the above mentioned tuba looked like one of the unmarked RMs to you? I'm not near familiar enough to know.

On another note, has anyone heard of an M&M?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT
Does it mean Meinl & Meinl? Is it made in Germany? Are they any good? Inquiring minds want to know.

Statman "still looking"
Statman

Postby bloke » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:15 pm

I don't know if it looks exactly like one of the tubas I sold, but it looks exactly like a Rudy Meinl.
bloke

Postby cjk » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:29 am

On another note, has anyone heard of an M&M?

yeah....

That tuba looks exactly like a chinese (??) built instrument which I have seen and played (but had a different brandmark). The valves were loose enough that singer sewing machine oil works as valve oil. I'd skip it.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Return to Off-Site deals and Ads