Stolen Tuba

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

Here's your tuba. You can almost even read your name on the mouthpiece in one of the photos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW
Contramark
bugler
bugler

Post by Contramark »

I just saw this post and was going to tell him I saw it on ebay. I am sorry aaron. IF there is antyhing we can do let us know.

Mark
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

The buyer and seller have been contacted. Now all we can do is wait to see what happens, but I expect there will probably be a satisfactory resolution.
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

Those fine upstanding folk at the pawn shop never even questioned the fact that the name on the mouthpiece probably didn't even come close to the name of the party involved in the transaction.

Sometimes I wonder how responsible these pawn shops are. Are they merely the "fence", or does it go farther than that?

I just hope that Aaron gets his horn back quickly and without much hassle. I hope the winner of the auction also gets his funds returned to him.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

I really, really hope it works out as painlessly as possible. My own tuba was stolen in January 2002 right out of my car, and showed up a month later on eBay in a post from the pawn shop where it resided. The closest thing it had to damage was smudges, and the stickers I had on the case had been mostly removed.

There's a couple threads on the old TubeNet chronicling the whole episode:
http://www.chisham.com/tips/bbs/jan2002 ... 83076.html
http://www.chisham.com/tips/bbs/feb2002 ... 86767.html

I was away from the internet at the time it appeared on eBay, and I've always been grateful for the eagle eyes of the Tubenetters.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

viewtopic.php?t=4841

Ok, now I understand.
sean chisham
billeuph
bugler
bugler

happy ending

Post by billeuph »

Pleased to report a happy ending. Aaron just came by and got his stolen horn. And the pawn shop owner (who by the way seems like a very decent guy to me) will refund what I paid. Aaron and the pawn shop owner will work to get the Phila police on the case and hopefully get the real villain here, the buy who broke Aaron's window and stole the horn, put behind bars.

Bill Anderson
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!
tubenetters strike again, foiling the evil deeds of tuba thieves everywhere!! :P :P :P
:lol:
Bill Pritchard
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Stolen Tuba

Post by TubaRay »

It sure is great to hear of such a happy ending to the story! I hope you never have such an incident, again. Congratulations to those who provided such helpful information, and to TubeNet, in general.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Hey Bloke...are you sure its not the TubeNet thong? :shock:
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Second Chance Offer

Post by Uncle Buck »

I was one of the bidders on this tuba, but not the auction winner. I just got, through Ebay, a second chance offer to purchase the tuba for my high bid. Considering the discussion on this thread, that does not make any sense to me. Can anybody shed any light?
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Second Chance Offer

Post by Matt G »

Uncle Buck wrote:I was one of the bidders on this tuba, but not the auction winner. I just got, through Ebay, a second chance offer to purchase the tuba for my high bid. Considering the discussion on this thread, that does not make any sense to me. Can anybody shed any light?
Scam.

Those folks will tell you that someone defaulted and that they have the horn. They will normally request the funds to be sent via wire to ship the horn. You send the money, they send nothing.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Restatement

Post by Uncle Buck »

Let me ask my question another way (I understand how Ebayers use the second chance offer.).

From the previous posts, it appears the seller was working this issue out with the horn's rightful owner. However, his offering the horn to me doesn't seem consistent with that.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Restatement

Post by Lew »

Uncle Buck wrote:Let me ask my question another way (I understand how Ebayers use the second chance offer.).

From the previous posts, it appears the seller was working this issue out with the horn's rightful owner. However, his offering the horn to me doesn't seem consistent with that.
The point is that the second chance offer you received is not legitimate. It is probably NOT from the original seller. Many scam artists use ebay to offer fake second chance offers to bidders, then take the money and run. Ebay is working to eliminate these crooks, but some are still getting through. If you send a message to the original seller regarding this message, rather than replying to the email with the offer, you will undoubtably hear that the original seller did not send this message.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

That probably explains it

Post by Uncle Buck »

That makes sense - the second chance offer I got must have been from someone spoofing the original seller's email and ebay account.
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Uncle Buck said:
That makes sense - the second chance offer I got must have been from someone spoofing the original seller's email and ebay account.
That is correct. The same thing happened to me in November. I called the original seller and he informed me that it was a scam (besides, my losing bid was much too low for anyone to accept for the tuba). I guess big ticket items are good to scam because all you need is for 1 person to fall for it for a good payday.
Last edited by Tubaryan12 on Wed May 04, 2005 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You