Instrument Repair Gurus...any comments

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Instrument Repair Gurus...any comments

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

no,no,no...i wasnt interested in the purchase of the horn (btw...the tuba is less than 15 min from me so i could pick it up...remember...no ebay bashing :D ). The question was strictly for comments on the "chop" job and if what he did would make a good horn.
Marzan BBb
King 607F
Posting and You
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Tubaryan12 wrote:no,no,no...i wasnt interested in the purchase of the horn (btw...the tuba is less than 15 min from me so i could pick it up...
OK.... YOU go check it out and report to US!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

OK.... YOU go check it out and report to US!
Hey..if I knew anything about a good tuba would I ask you guys?...lol :lol: (Bracing himself for all kinds of cracks)
Marzan BBb
King 607F
Posting and You
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

harold wrote:I stand by my earlier comment that I have never played a chopped York CC that plays as well as it did before it was cut.

There may be some out there, but I have never played one nor talked with anyone that has.
Now you have. I've played two that Dave Fedderly sold over the last couple of years. Both were clearly superior to most of big tubas I've had the chance to try out in my life.

I didn't play them when they were BBb tubas, but I'll bet you a full Chinese feast they are better now. Before, they were battered school tubas with narrow bores and top-action valves, missing parts and with valve tubing that was kinked and ruined. Conversion to excellent grand orchestral tubas was a huge improvement, and the only thing that kept them from the scrap heap.

One reason my Holton was never cut is that it is too good as a BBb, and worth too much. It didn't make financial sense to turn it into a CC. The really good big BBb tubas in reasonable condition are worth too much as BBb tubas to be worth cutting. Only the otherwise unsalvageable instruments get cut, with only a few exceptions.

Rick "thinking a lot of old BAT carcasses have nowhere to go but up" Denney