CraigsList CC

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Re: CraigsList CC

Post by Ken Herrick »

A CC King Monster would be a rare item indeed! If it played anywhere near as well as a BBb it could be a very nice axe, IMO. The 3rd valve branch has been altered to avoid the pigtail.
I hope somebody like Dan or Lee picks it up and goes over it to see just what it does come up like. At $750 it would be worth snapping up.

Now, where did the checkbook go.............
Free to tuba: good home
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Interesting horn. The valve section appears to be the .687" bore version on a regular King body. The 'monster' basses I know of came with a detachable bell. I think the CC versions were known as the "Bill Bell" model.

This is a hybrid horn and conforms to the sellers explanation. It's probably a legit deal. Someone in that area needs to jump on it. If you decide you don't want at after buying it... I know a guy in Southern Indiana who will give you your money back!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Not sure , Dan. The catalogue lists CC version of the .750 and to my eye it does indeed look like it is exactly that. My old BBb monster (and others I know of) had a fixed bell. From the pictures the inner branches look shorter than a BBb would have and it doesn't really look like it has been "cut", something which would most likely ruin a BBb. I reckon you oughta grab this! Better prospect than those CCb tubas of a few years ago...........
Free to tuba: good home
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Ken Herrick wrote:Not sure , Dan. The catalogue lists CC version of the .750 and to my eye it does indeed look like it is exactly that. ...
Identifying the models of King 'monster' rotary tubas is a bit confusing.
Model 1286 = 20" bell, BBb, .750" bore
Model 1291 = 24" bell, BBb, .750" bore
Model 1293 = 22" bell, BBb, .687" bore

Model 1285 = 20" bell, CC, .750" bore
Model 1290 = 24" bell, CC, .750" bore
Model 1292 = 22" bell, CC, .687" bore

The .687" bore horns listed above had 'regular' 1240/41 bodies and bells.

Judging from the characteristics of the Kings I have here... the horn in question is a model 1292 valve section of a REGULAR early fixed bell 1240/41 body. The bell stack isn't near large enough to a 1285 or 1290... which would be the same body (except 2' shorter) than my 1291.

Our opinions can differ but I'm sure we can agree that the Craig's List horn is very cool and probably an excellent buy.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

If someone in the Denver area doesn't drop everything and check this out ASAP, I 'll be shocked!
Mark
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

TubaTinker wrote:... Judging from the characteristics of the Kings I have here... the horn in question is a model 1292 valve section of a REGULAR early fixed bell 1240/41 body. The bell stack isn't near large enough to a 1285 or 1290... which would be the same body (except 2' shorter) than my 1291.

Our opinions can differ but I'm sure we can agree that the Craig's List horn is very cool and probably an excellent buy.
So, a cut to CC Monster BBb body with a 1292 valve block?

Looks like there is a patch or two on the upper bow. Still, very cool looking horn!
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Posting has been deleted--anybody here get it ?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

TheHatTuba wrote:.... So, a cut to CC Monster BBb body with a 1292 valve block? ...
Sort of. The horn in question most likely is not a 'cut' horn. A 1292 IS a CC tuba with a .687" rotary valve body. But... a REAL 1292 would have had a 22" recording bell... same as a run-of-the-mill 1240 with a detachable recording bell. Except... this horn has an FIXED upright bell from an unknown tuba.

It appears from the King advertising that even though the .687" and .750" bore horns were listed as 'monster' tubas... they did not have the same open bugle. The .687" horns were commensurately smaller through the large bows.

(I think!)
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Last edited by bisontuba on Tue May 27, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

jonesmj wrote:Hi-
My c. 1940 King 4v string rotary .687 bore CC tuba-FYI-mark

Yup. Looks like yours is a model 1292 with an upright bell instead of a recording bell. Check the bell tenon on your King. I'll bet it's 6 5/16" diameter. If it was a .750" bore horn it would be 7 1/8".
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Dan-
Yup, smaller tenon it is! I believe it is a model 1293.

Mark
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

It's comming to Central Florida. Don't know exactly when but I'll give you folks an update when it arrives.Ed
The Singing Whale
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

EdFirth wrote:It's comming to Central Florida. Don't know exactly when but I'll give you folks an update when it arrives.Ed
Congratulations!
Mark
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

KiltieTuba wrote:Hey Mark,
Any idea on how many of these rotary Kings were made?
Hi-
For the rotary CC Kings, I believe (?) less than 10. I had heard 6-7, but a couple more have been added.....Mike Lynch may have a better idea as to the # made...
Mark
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

There has been a new development. I called a friend when I saw this thread and he called the seller and they came to terms which was when he pulled the ad, but the seller had to go out of town on a family matter. Yesterday the seller called my friend and told he couldn't sell it at that price. My friend ended the converdation at that point. So I'm guessing that someone told him how rare and valuable(to someone who wants one) it is. Good luck to whoever gets it. Ed
The Singing Whale