Exporting Sousaphone + Case: Canada -> USA

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Oceantuba
bugler
bugler

Exporting Sousaphone + Case: Canada -> USA

Post by Oceantuba »

Hi all. Sorry. This is not an eBay topic per se, but may be relevant so am asking here.

edit: I see that this horn is likely transportable as an "Informal entry" ("does not require a broker if the shipment is accompanied by the exporter, or if the consignee comes to the port of entry to collect it.") and that it likely doesn't require a NAFTA Certificate of Origin, but it is suggested here that one fill this form out: http://www.tradecommissioner.gc.ca/eng/ ... did=141461" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank However. I'm not a business so will search further on requirements for an individual.

I've never sold and transported an instrument from Canada to USA. Under NAFTA, it seems the HS number is: 9205.10.0080

http://hts.usitc.gov/Table%2092.xml#9205.10.0080" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Can someone help me understand the numbers in the tables? Does the seller typically pay associated duties? Would this instrument be free of any duties or taxes since it was made in US presumably from raw materials sourced in US?

Much thanks. I can make time to ship this horn viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60402 across to US but need to do this correctly.

Neil.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Exporting Sousaphone + Case: Canada -> USA

Post by bort »

Not that I'm suggesting it, but I'm not sure what would stop you from driving to Canada, picking it up, and when you come back just saying "I brought it into Canada with me, I'm just going home."
Oceantuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oceantuba »

As a seller in Canada, I might offer to drive it across to US should the purchaser be in US.

AFAIK, NAFTA items valued at less than $2500 US or Cnd., can be transported "informally" (eg. little to no paperwork) either direction and not be dinged duty. So it's likely this only means my time and money (fuel).

I understand you're not suggesting it, but personally, as someone who regularly holidays and has worked gigs in the US, I would never potentially jeopardize my ability to cross the border.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Don't know if this helps but I took a 20J from the US to Canada to sell it to a Canadian and had no problem at the border. I didn't have to declare it and Customs didn't know I was taking it in to sell. I wasn't hiding it. It was on the back seat. The Canadian Customs man asked, "You play that?" I said, "Yup" and he said, "Have a good trip".

I have relatives in the Vancouver area and, when they ship things to the US, they always go to Blaine, WA to do it. Canada Post takes forever and FedEx/UPS is very expensive. Never been questioned at the border.
Oceantuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oceantuba »

Yes. That's helpful to know The Big Ben.
I over think things but am painfully aware of how things can go wrong at the border.
I recall making a very very very light hearted joke attempt with a customs agent.

Agent: "go to secondary inspection". :roll:

It should be no big deal and I hear what you're layin down. I answer questions and thats it.

Neil.
Oceantuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oceantuba »

So from this web page:

http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports found Blaine port, called them from Canada. Basically.....

To import a NAFTA qualifying horn from Canada into US, if the sold price of horn is $2500 USD or less, there is no duty. A 'vehicle transportation' fee (can't recall exact term) of roughly $11 USD, may apply.

Person I spoke with said to fill out a "DECLARATION FOR FREE ENTRY OF RETURNED AMERICAN PRODUCTS" 3311 form. He also mentioned another alternate form but I can't recall what it was. You'd also need to bring an invoice showing sold price.

Basically, it's not rocket surgery but there may be a real big difference between "exporting" and "importing". I had been searching up on exporting.

Hope that helps but would suggest calling the appropriate party to verify the above information.

Neil.