Mirafone BBb 5-valve Tuba for sale

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
oldpatterns
bugler
bugler

Re: Mirafone BBb 5-valve Tuba for sale

Post by oldpatterns »

This tuba is missing a thumb ring - how do I get a replacement one for it??
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

That was a STEAL!
oldpatterns
bugler
bugler

Post by oldpatterns »

It will now be played by a kid who appreciates a good tuba and is a good musician, rather then dealer who would have gotten a bargain because the seller had no ratings on ebay. My son loves it, oiled it last night and named it. :tuba:
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

oldpatterns wrote:This tuba is missing a thumb ring - how do I get a replacement one for it??
The ring would not only need to be bought, but installed as well. Any good band instrument repair shop can get one and install it. You might want to check the TubeNet Sponsors page to find one close to you. You'd want to have your son there to make sure it is placed properly. It can be moved later as he grows, if needed.

:tuba:
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Well Ian, since we're on Tubenet it's proper to suggest someone who helps make TubeNet available and free for us to use. This sale might have taken place without TubeNet, but the board certainly helped it along. Credit where it's due.

And yes, the shop I use is a sponsor. Three guesses which one it is, and the first two don't count.
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
oldpatterns
bugler
bugler

Post by oldpatterns »

Thank you all for your advice. We will see if he needs the thumbing for it. I'm a bit confused as to if it screws in or is soldered into place. I have a person who repaired the school Miraphone that my son uses. I'll have him help keep this one also in good repair. I don't see a sponsor who is in the Boston area.

Yes, I did see the add for the tuba here - but I also have been searching ebay.com for tubas that where local to me and craigslist. I didn't want to purchase a tuba for him that he couldn't try before we purchased it - or at least afford to repair. I'm sure of you folks have seen my questions about other tubas that needed a lot of TLC- to see if it was worth repairing. I went into the transaction with quite a bit of knowledge about what I was buying. The seller knew he had no ratings on ebay and didn't really want to figure out how to ship the tuba - so it all worked out well.

I now have to find someone to purchase my sons first tuba. :)

Thanks again for all your help!
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

oldpatterns wrote:I now have to find someone to purchase my sons first tuba. :)

Thanks again for all your help!
Take some pics and post it in our For Sale section. We get people looking for "first tubas" from time to time. What make and model is it?
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
oldpatterns
bugler
bugler

Post by oldpatterns »

It is an Anthem 4 value rotary tuba. This is a picture of it from the company and the info. on it. http://www.anthemmusic.com/brass.htm#a5000_tuba" target="_blank

We've had it for 4 years. We have brought it to Anthem Music for basic repairs. It is well oiled and in working condition. We have a a video of my son playing it if you want to hear how it sounds. It was a great starter tuba for my son. We found the rental cost of a tuba to be crazy. It is listed as a 3/4 size tuba - but it is longer then some of the 3/4 piston tubas. My son used a tuba rest to play it when he first got it.

Here are images of the tuba. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fgq5lygi9b6v ... 6hVuvcmILa" target="_blank

Regards,

michelle
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

You might want to move those pictures and description over to the For Sale section, and post it in a new thread along with a price. Good luck! :tuba:
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Getzen 3047AFR Tenor Trombone
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

oldpatterns wrote:It is an Anthem 4 value rotary tuba. This is a picture of it from the company and the info. on it. http://www.anthemmusic.com/brass.htm#a5000_tuba" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

We've had it for 4 years. We have brought it to Anthem Music for basic repairs. It is well oiled and in working condition. We have a a video of my son playing it if you want to hear how it sounds. It was a great starter tuba for my son. We found the rental cost of a tuba to be crazy. It is listed as a 3/4 size tuba - but it is longer then some of the 3/4 piston tubas. My son used a tuba rest to play it when he first got it.

Here are images of the tuba. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fgq5lygi9b6v ... 6hVuvcmILa" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Regards,

michelle
Those are sweet little tubas. I had a Wessex branded one (http://www.wessex-tubas.com/bbb-lightweight) a while back. Responsive and in tune. I sold it because after hearing a recording of a performance I realized that in a two person section it just didn't put out enough volume. And I also wanted to switch to CC. But if I were going back to a 3/4 rotary BBb, it would be my first choice.
oldpatterns
bugler
bugler

Post by oldpatterns »

It is a knock off of a 186. My son easily switched between the school 186 and this tuba.

Anthem is a instrument importer in Billerica, MA. Nice guys who tested all the instruments they sell. They mainly sell their instruments to music stores for rentals. I happened to live down the road from them, so that is how I ended up with their instrument. As a starter instrument, it was great. It held up with the abuse of starting musician. It sounds like a tuba. http://youtu.be/x-wide6G5Ag" target="_blank If I didn't purchase the instrument from them. I was considering a tuba from the tuba exchange. I'm not sure if Mack Brass or Wessex was around when I was looking for a starter tuba for my son. The major problem I had was that most rental companies won't rent tubas.