Odd sousaphone

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Odd sousaphone

Post by Heavy_Metal »

anyone ever see one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Karl-Sc ... 35dc653b5d" target="_blank
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Re: Odd sousaphone

Post by Heliconer »

I want to say yes, but no haha However I'd love to play it! :tuba:
A bunch of metal fart noise machines
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

The item's description does not mention what key it is, I was guessing it's an Eb because of the loop back but the second valve slide looks too long for an Eb.
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I've seen one of those before. In fact... I think I scrapped one out and still have the wonky over-the-shoulder branch hanging in my shop. If you combine the hairpin shoulder tube and the very long leadpipe.... which goes into the third valve, the horn is probably pitched in BBb. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find some of the parts when I get back to the shop next week. It looks like the kind of stuff ORSI (Italian) would build.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

The original company was founded as J.W.Jenkins Co., and succeeded by J.W. Jenkins Sons. (John Woodward Jenkins died in 1890) The company was an all-around retailer of anything musical including violins, and novelty instruments, such as the Frisco slide whistle.

1903 J. W. Jenkins Sons Music Cos Complete Catalogue of Band Instruments shows a photo of their store at 1013 and 1015 Walnut St. Kansas City, Mo. The window display shows Steinway Pianos and Vose Pianos. The catalogue list York & Sons full line. Showing the Monarch and the Professional Cornets. Also lists a Valve Trombone. Catalogue also lists Gomat & co, August Henem, Courtois and The Leeder Mouthpieces. They state that they are makeing the Leeder now. There is also a photo of their factory it shows men polishing up guitars and other stringed instruments.

In the 20s and 30s they imported Bohland and Fuchs which the put under the Trade Name of Harwood. American Capital instruments were imports and were sold by Jenkins. According to a catalog from the 1930s, Jenkins sold a variety of brands, including Karl Schubert (tradename for Czechoslovakianimports), American Capital (also a tradename for imports), Bohland and Fuchs, Pan American (and Cavalier).
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Theredbarn
lurker
lurker

Post by Theredbarn »

Bringing to life an old post!

I bought this horn back in September. What can I say - it called to me! I've been looking for history on it and looks like I've found a wealth of knowledge here. It's heading to a local shop next week with the goal of making it "playable". I'll keep you posted!
Theredbarn
lurker
lurker

Post by Theredbarn »

Sadly the valve caps were too badly damaged and there is too much internal damage to make this horn playable. However, It will have a home as my other hoppy is VW beetles. This old girl is going to be a rack queen on top of my car at shows!