something I have never seen before!

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

something I have never seen before!

Post by scottw »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 06807&rd=1

Anyone ever seen this configuration of the rotary valves? Very nifty! 8)
Bearin' up!
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Old Cerveny

Post by Lee Stofer »

That tuba strongly resembles the 1894 Cerveny Eb tuba I have in the attic, and plan to eventually restore. The looped tuning slide was normally to convert an F tuba to Eb. I notice that the rotor clockwork-style springs have individual tension adjusters, so you can dial in how stiff or easy the valve action will be. A horn that old might be a little on the fragile side for daily use, but it does look like a fun instrument.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I once played a marvelous tuba like this one, owned by Joseph Hebert in New Orleans who sold it to a classmate of mine in college. It was previously owned by one of the older Hollywood tubists in the 30's and was supposedly used on many major soundtracks.

The last time I played it, I felt that the valves had just died.

The position of the valves and levers is ergonomically comfortable and mechanically efficient... I like it. However, with these old rotors there is no way to adjust the throw of the lever. The valve either lines up or it doesn't.

Also, what in the heck happened to the bell? The metal on these instruments is thin, thin, thin. If it was replaced with brass thicker than the original it would adversely affect the tone of the instrument. I'd have to know what the bell was replaced with.
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

did anyone click on the link to hear the instrument?...please tell me that the guy used the wrong file......
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
dmmorris
3 valves
3 valves
Location: From far away as Jupiter sulfur mines, way down by the methane sea.

Post by dmmorris »

Looks a lot like this!

http://www.neillins.com/TU040.htm
beta 14??..........OK!

Mid 70's B&S Tuba
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Alex C wrote: Also, what in the heck happened to the bell? The metal on these instruments is thin, thin, thin. If it was replaced with brass thicker than the original it would adversely affect the tone of the instrument. I'd have to know what the bell was replaced with.
It is bizarre-looking isn't it? Looks like someone grafted a flare from another bell onto the old one. I had to do a double-take to see if what I really saw was a seam on one of the photos--yep, it is.