Is this a good euph to buy? As compared with some other.....

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Scott,

I don't know first hand how they are, but everything I've read is that these have a wonderful tone, but intonation can be troublesome. Also, some have complained about the valves.

Another thing, the advertised bore is a 'marketing ploy' that Sterling and Willson use. They measure the "outside" diameter of the second valve slide rather than the inside diameter. The actual main bore size is .591 or .592. This was told to me by David Werden, a Sterling performing artist.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Highams
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Highams »

Yes, Rick mentions tuning & valves. Exactly why I chose the Willson 2900 over the Sterling. The one I tried (brand new) blew beautifully but was very sharp on concert E's & F's. The valves were dreadful and I was surprised they were allowed to leave the factory!

Still, like all makes, you get good and bad and if you take to it, good luck, I think the one Micheal Dodds got had to be exceptional.

CB
Aspire & Be Inspired !
JayW
4 valves
4 valves

Post by JayW »

from a non-playing but having heard perspective these are very good instruments. Michael Dodd was sensational at the USABTEC, granted I think he could make just about anything sound good. But, sterlings are certainly a brand name (no knock off from elsewhere) and I think the company has an excellent track record of quality tubas, so I dont see why they wouldnt put that same effort into their Euphoniums. Just my thought....best of luck with a new instrument

PS compared to what you had been looking at, I would say this is a definite step up from a Y-321 any way you look at it.
Jay
proud new owner of a kick arse Eastman 632
Photographer
Dog Lover
Hiker