Reynolds 4P Contempora

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Reynolds 4P Contempora

Post by Heavy_Metal »

their answer to the Olds O-99-4:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reynolds-contem ... 2ee1006bb2" target="_blank
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Reynolds 4P Contempora

Post by Alex C »

These horn must have been made when Reynolds was on it's last feet. My high school had two Reynolds Contempora tubas, purchased circa 1964. These were the ones with the spring loaded 1st valve trigger, that trigger being its only redeeming feature. Well, maybe not but I have no fond memories of those horns.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

The 4-valve version of this horn doesn't show up too often. When I've played one of these or an O-99 recently, they always play better than I remember them in school.

ISTR bloke posting fairly recently that when he plays at a school, he always plays one piece on one of the school tubas to demonstrate that they're (usually) not as bad as the kids think. But as usual, the search function doesn't return anything.

Anyway, someone snapped it up.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Alex C wrote:These horn must have been made when Reynolds was on it's last feet. My high school had two Reynolds Contempora tubas, purchased circa 1964. These were the ones with the spring loaded 1st valve trigger, that trigger being its only redeeming feature. Well, maybe not but I have no fond memories of those horns.
The models with the 1st valve trigger were bigger, right? closer to King 1240 than Olds 099? A few have been hanging around on ebay at pretty high price, last time I looked, but I guess they'd been there long enough that it would cast some doubt on the prices. I'd trade a somewhat beat but playable King for one, though.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Alex C wrote:These horn must have been made when Reynolds was on it's last feet. My high school had two Reynolds Contempora tubas, purchased circa 1964. These were the ones with the spring loaded 1st valve trigger, that trigger being its only redeeming feature. Well, maybe not but I have no fond memories of those horns.
Granted that I haven't seen everything that was ever made... but, there were two varieties of the Reynolds 'Contempora' tubas. The ones I've seen with the first valve trigger were MUCH larger horns. Both of the horns pictures were badged 'Contempora'.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.