eBay: Conn 48k

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: eBay: Conn 48k

Post by Donn »

lost wrote:My 3 valve is heavy
What does it weigh?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Donn wrote:
lost wrote:My 3 valve is heavy
What does it weigh?
My 48K weighs about 52 pounds with a 28" bell.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

OK, I'm out. 40K is not only one of the best sousaphones ever, it's close to 20 lbs lighter.
Tom Eshelman
bugler
bugler

Post by Tom Eshelman »

Ian Church says 'the 46K has three valves and weighs 42 pounds; the 48K has four valves and weighs 54 pounds.', at http://brassmusician.com/sousaphone-his ... e-ologist/
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

There's actually a rather wide variation in reported weights for the 40K, too. Mine is at the lower end - I forget, 32 lbs, 35, something like that. (About the same as my accordion.) No idea why the range, but maybe the way they made them back in the day, there could be significant variation in metal thickness. Combination of thick metal in a 48K could certainly produce a very heavy tuba, and maybe those were the ones that were quickly retired and survive to today.
lowpitchmoravian
bugler
bugler

Post by lowpitchmoravian »

KiltieTuba wrote:
lowpitchmoravian wrote:Lot of money to pay for bad back problems--(*&^%$#$%^&*()_+
Ever had one?
Nope , but do have "judgement" , a"bad back-", and 73 yrs on my odometer. Would view the situation differently if I were 20 yrs old.------lol,lol_
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Donn wrote:No idea why the range, but maybe the way they made them back in the day, there could be significant variation in metal thickness. Combination of thick metal in a 48K could certainly produce a very heavy tuba, and maybe those were the ones that were quickly retired and survive to today.
The variation in weight can also be due to slight variations in the branchwork itself. A few years ago, 4 Jumbo sousaphones appeared at the same concert in Pentwater, MI: 2 48Ks and 2 46Ks. There were very noticeable differences from horn to horn. For example, my 48K has 9 moveable slides while TubaTinker's 48K has 7 or 8. Apparently, though, both Dan's and mine weigh 52 pounds. FWIW, I weighed mine on my chiropractor's scale (I was being truthful with him about what I was risking by carrying the beast on my shoulder). The difference between the reading of his scale with me holding the Jumbo minus me not holding the Jumbo = the weight of the horn.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Steve Marcus wrote:... The variation in weight can also be due to slight variations in the branchwork itself. A few years ago, 4 Jumbo sousaphones appeared at the same concert in Pentwater, MI: 2 48Ks and 2 46Ks. There were very noticeable differences from horn to horn. For example, my 48K has 9 moveable slides while TubaTinker's 48K has 7 or 8. Apparently, though, both Dan's and mine weigh 52 pounds. FWIW, I weighed mine on my chiropractor's scale (I was being truthful with him about what I was risking by carrying the beast on my shoulder). The difference between the reading of his scale with me holding the Jumbo minus me not holding the Jumbo = the weight of the horn.
My 48K has eight movable slides. The 52 pounds could vary a bit because what I'm using is the 'cheapo' bathroom scales I use to weight freight shipments.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Tom Eshelman
bugler
bugler

Post by Tom Eshelman »

Congrats on the great article, Kiltie. I did not put together that our resident bearded tubenet sousaphone guru was the author. One of the most interesting statements to me was "These early sousaphones [in Sousa's band] were by no means made for marching; just imagine carrying an instrument of more than 40 pounds for a mile or more:".

So apparently this could be said of all jumbo 40+-pound sousaphones?
Last edited by Tom Eshelman on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
lowpitchmoravian
bugler
bugler

Post by lowpitchmoravian »

lost wrote:
lowpitchmoravian wrote:Lot of money to pay for bad back problems--(*&^%$#$%^&*()_+
I've read in the archives someone say they werent meant to be parade instruments. My 3 valve is heavy so i can only imagine the weight of a 4th valve and slightly bigger bell.
You need a lot of core strength to march with one. 2 weeks ago i tried and the next day i had a weird thigh strain and my ankles were sore.
The weight is mostly at the top of the horn so sore shoulders are a norm.
You need strong biceps to keep the horn level and not tipping over.
Strong legs help.
Nobody seems to notice its much bigger and you are in a lot more discomfort.

Love mine though!
I read that Sousa 's band seldom marched with theirs .
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

So, somebody bought it in a 'best offer accepted.' Anyone on this forum?