upside down rotors

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

upside down rotors

Post by Donn »

A few miles east of Portland, Older 4 valve rotary tuba.

Valves seen from the back:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: upside down rotors

Post by bort »

An old Sander tuba, at a VERY low price.

Just like Sam Gnagey's, but his is in CC.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68732&p=563705#p563705" target="_blank
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Well ... many visible similarities to Sam Gnagey's, but more than enough differences to easily account for the 4x price difference!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Donn wrote:Well ... many visible similarities to Sam Gnagey's, but more than enough differences to easily account for the 4x price difference!
I see a few dents on the BBb... what else?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

- it's really battered - dents, there's something missing from one of the valve spindles.
- it really isn't the same model at all - for example, could be just the photography but the bell shapes look different to me
- it's coming from someone unknown to me, vs. Sam Gnagey whose appraisal of a tuba counts for something.

It depends on why you'd buy something like that, and I suppose motivations are very diverse and in many cases hard for me to understand. The ideal buyer in each case is someone who appreciates the opportunity to play a very old and unusual tuba, but probably very different people - I could picture that Oregon tuba ending up in a little band that travels around the western US and Canada in a little school bus, with an accordion and a musical saw among other instruments.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Donn wrote:- it's really battered - dents, there's something missing from one of the valve spindles.
- it really isn't the same model at all - for example, could be just the photography but the bell shapes look different to me
- it's coming from someone unknown to me, vs. Sam Gnagey whose appraisal of a tuba counts for something.

It depends on why you'd buy something like that, and I suppose motivations are very diverse and in many cases hard for me to understand. The ideal buyer in each case is someone who appreciates the opportunity to play a very old and unusual tuba, but probably very different people - I could picture that Oregon tuba ending up in a little band that travels around the western US and Canada in a little school bus, with an accordion and a musical saw among other instruments.
I've highlighted the most important part. The other stuff is valid, but it doesn't seem that bad to me, all the "big stuff" seems in pretty good shape. Let's face it, it's a tuba for $900, and it's (at least) $900 worth of tuba. Beyond that... who knows. Very cool, nonetheless.
Mikelynch
bugler
bugler

Post by Mikelynch »

It is definitely a Sanders, with that valve and slide configuration.

FWIW--if anyone in the area is interested, that is worth buying, regardless of the other defects.

If it were in Austin, I would have bought it before posting this reply. :-)

Mike
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Sam Gnagey's horn he's selling/sold in the linked post has the 4th valve equal to 2+3 rather than 1+3. Wonder if this Orygun tuba-like object is the same. I'd have to play it to see what it was like but, at times, different is good.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

If it wasn't 4500 miles away I'd buy it. :tuba:
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
Bob Bigalard
bugler
bugler

Post by Bob Bigalard »

My tuba teacher is selling this tuba. If you are interested, I highly reccomend going put there and trying it out. He is a great guy and he knows his tubas! I actually asked him about this particular horn. He does not know what brand it is, even after consulting several other "tuba experts." If you guys think it is a Sanders, I will tell him next week at my lesson.
King 1241
Miraphone 186 CC
Wessex Tenor Trombone
Amati Kaiser Baritone
Getzen Eterna Trumpet
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Sam Gnagey »

Bob Bigalard wrote:My tuba teacher is selling this tuba. If you are interested, I highly reccomend going put there and trying it out. He is a great guy and he knows his tubas! I actually asked him about this particular horn. He does not know what brand it is, even after consulting several other "tuba experts." If you guys think it is a Sanders, I will tell him next week at my lesson.
It is most assuredly a Sander, not Sanders. There may be a very faint name stamped on the bell.