Mirafone 182?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Mirafone 182?

Post by tofu »

I think it's a BBb 185 with a 15 inch bell. Just eyeballing the serial # and the build I would say it hails from the early '60's - probably around 1963. Back then they could be had in CC or BBb. Now just in CC and I think that is a special order from the factory. Sure looks like it has been well used/abused over the years and in need of a lot of work with some of it being expensive. 185's are really nice versatile horns - Tommy Johnson and Jim Self were big fans. Folks tend to hang on to them.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Mirafone 182?

Post by tofu »

hrender wrote:Pretty sure those are different horns. Pix of the bottom bow are different.
Here is a BBb 182:

Definitely not the horn on fleabay.

Here is a BBb 181:

It looks like the horn on fleabay only much skinnier.

Here is a BBb 185 that Bloke sold on here a while back:

Image It's a early '60's with the big bottom guards they used back then. The one on fleabay is probably around the mid-seventies. I misread the Serial # when I first posted and the seller lists it as being in the 12,000 area not the 2000. The bell taper and the thickness of the bows of the 185 Bloke had sure look like the one you pictured. Without measurements it is always hard to tell. But I'm pretty sure that is a 185.