No reserve on this Boosey & Hawkes

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

No reserve on this Boosey & Hawkes

Post by Heavy_Metal »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960-BO ... SwmfhX4anb" target="_blank

Looks like a compensator.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
sousaphonehero
bugler
bugler

Re: No reserve on this Boosey & Hawkes

Post by sousaphonehero »

Eb? Looks like too much tubing to be a euphonium.
Miraphone 186 CC 5v
Conn 21J
Buescher 4/4 Eb
Amati Kaiser Baritone
Wessex Trombone
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

My guess is BBb.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

SteveP wrote:The valves are worn through the plating yet the seller says the compression is good. Seems like an inconsistency to me. Is it possible to replate the valves without getting a whole valve job? I'm asking because I could be interested in this instrument and don't want to spend a whole lot to make it right.
Not necessarily. The plating was very thin on these valves. I used to have a BBb 3-valve comp. It looked like hell, including the valves, but played great.

If the valves are slightly worn, you can see what they need by taking a small drip bottle, putting about an ounce of conventional valve oil in it, then add a couple of drops of pharmaceutical grade mineral oil to increase the viscosity slightly. If this works, then it will work for years. If no improvement to the compression or intonation, then it is time to consider a valve job.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

If you can't play it in person or know someone close to the seller to play it then I'd ask the seller for a video of the horn being played. If you bought it cheap enough a valve job wouldn't be a deal breaker. I'd also ask for close ups of the pistons to see the wear pattern. On a 56 year old horn some wear is inevitable. And that is definitely a BBb - nice horns - great intonation and a nice sound.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

NICE body! Some funky repair on the bell rim, but looks fine. The piston wear is sadly standard for B&H anything. Some pistons can hold decent compression even with compromised plating, I would not include besson/B&H.

These have great intonation and tone, but quite the workout on the player.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

TheGoyWonder wrote:These have great intonation and tone, but quite the workout on the player.
That is, to transport it as well as play it. When I had my 3-valve comp, I definitely did not need to go to the gym to lift weights!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

iiipopes wrote:
TheGoyWonder wrote:These have great intonation and tone, but quite the workout on the player.
That is, to transport it as well as play it. When I had my 3-valve comp, I definitely did not need to go to the gym to lift weights!
Yeah, hauling them around is not for the feeble. But, in a good gig bag like a Cronkhite it's not that bad. As far as being a workout for the player, I have to disagree. I never found it very taxing versus my other horns. Of course, a lot of them out there these days suffer from being poorly maintained, are old and worn, and some poor playing ones are from the bad build year periods for Besson/Boosey.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

Of course the weight is not atypical for any tuba. They do require a heavy air flow, while simultaneously having a bit of resistance, so yes a workout. It takes a bit of practice to get a fast response out of one. The sound is worth it, plus you'll never accidentally overblow.

I would put pretty low odds on the piston compression. But since it has the nice body, low enough closing price plus the valve job could be a very nice total price for a great tuba.