"copy of famous maker"

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: "copy of famous maker"

Post by Dan Schultz »

Casca Grossa wrote:Looks like a Wessex Berg with a half step 5th valve.
Someone is copying WESSEX now? That must be flattering for Jonathan.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

This tuba design is in the Jinbao catalog and Wessex doesn't have exclusive rights to it. The short fifth valve slide was provided by wessex as well, as a slide to use if you wanted to put the Berg in it's semi-hard case, in which the installed longer slide would not fit.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

"O'Malley" may be a good name for a Tin Whistle,

but for a tuba??

How about something more tuba-like,

like Schiller!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I am rather amused that Wessex is already being called "famous maker" although at the same time irritated that due to distribution error O'Malley got hold of our design. The Berg is still officially Wessex exclusive design and is not in the Jinbao catalogue (I have the latest copy in front of me). As the principal tuba customer for the factory, they will not generally release Wessex designs without my prior agreement.

The Berg is a tuba of which I am very proud. We took one of the worst F tubas intonation wise on the market and remodelled to make one of the very best, with a tone that still fills me with joy whenever I play. Yes parts were used from the parts bin, but that is how most tubas are developed. Every brass factory tries to minimise the production of new components and use as much as possible of what they already have. What is important is how they are put together to make a good tuba taking into account expansion rates, noddle points and more.

I am lucky to have some very talented people working with Wessex to develop our new models. There are plenty of exciting developments in the pipe line including a further two new models I hope to announce after December visit to the factory - one of those is really revolutionary, like nothing ever available before :)
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

bloke wrote:dance with the devil, I guess...particularly if he's the one who brung ya... :|
I am not sure what you mean by that? The Chinese are good hard working people just like you and me. Jinbao is a family run business started by father and now run by son. They have been very successful building to company of over 2,000 employees. Like most fairly large businesses it has its failings but there are dedicated and clever people working there with 'can do' attitude and commitment to ever improve, some of which have become my good friends. So not 'dance with the devil', but working closely with the most exciting and fast improving brass factory in the world to make range of great playing, but affordable tubas and euphonium for the 21st century.
Last edited by Wyvern on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Wyvern wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by that?
"Dancing with the devil" is a harmless American colloquial expression meaning "a business partner that sells your B-stock to a competitor, undercutting your prices and flooding the market." :wink:

It's pointed toward them, not so much you.

You are the victim in this case.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Three Valves wrote: "Dancing with the devil" is a harmless American colloquial expression meaning "a business partner that sells your B-stock to a competitor, undercutting your prices and flooding the market." :wink:
That is interesting and new on me - thanks!

Goes to show we speak the same language some of the time :roll:
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

bloke wrote:dance with the devil
Itching to make a political comment here, but it's illegal
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)