Looking for a 6 valve French tuba?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Looking for a 6 valve French tuba?

Post by Lew »

Here's something you don't see every day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 55373&rd=1

Do they even make these any more? Are these legitimately called tubas, or if it really just a big euphonium? Wichita Band Instrument avoids the issue by calling it a Saxhorn, but they do say that it is really like a 6 valve euphonium.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Looking for a 6 valve French tuba?

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Lew wrote:Do they even make these any more? Are these legitimately called tubas, or if it really just a big euphonium? Wichita Band Instrument avoids the issue by calling it a Saxhorn, but they do say that it is really like a 6 valve euphonium.
Given that what we usually call a euphonium is the tenor member of the tuba family, I'd say calling it a tuba is legitimate. Looks to be in good shape. That'd be a great horn for Bydlo! If only I had the money ... :(

PS: I remember reading somewhere that French tubas haven't been made since the 1930s ... that may or may not be accurate ... FWIW
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

According to my 1908 French tuba method book the fingering's pretty far from what you're used to. The 3rd valve drops the pitch by 2 whole tones; the 5th and the 2nd valve are both semitone valves.

I wonder if a modern large-bore euphonium might have a similar sound--and be a whole lot easier to play.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

It probably would (on both counts). Still, the thought of having (and being able to play) an unusual instrument of that type is appealing ... and learning new fingerings is something we do occasionally! :wink:
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Kevin Hendrick wrote:It probably would (on both counts). Still, the thought of having (and being able to play) an unusual instrument of that type is appealing ... and learning new fingerings is something we do occasionally! :wink:
Well, maybe--but I figure that if I wanted to learn lots of new and interesting fingerings, I'd take up bassoon... :)
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Chuck(G) wrote:... I figure that if I wanted to learn lots of new and interesting fingerings, I'd take up bassoon... :)
Good point! 8)
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

bloke wrote:
Chuck(G) wrote:Well, maybe--but I figure that if I wanted to learn lots of new and interesting fingerings, I'd take up bassoon... :)

...or the ophicliede

bloke "who doesn't shy away from buying/building instruments of some expense, but the blokian requirement is that they must be something that will be played"
Actually, ophicleide fingerings make a lot more intuitive sense!
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

bloke wrote:
Actually, ophicleide fingerings make a lot more intuitive sense!

Fingers are generally lifted "backwards" on the ophicliede...in some ways similar to the bassoon...backwards from flutes, saxophones, oboes, etc.
Only some keys, but that was my point... still more intuitive than a 6 valve French C... :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

windshieldbug wrote:Only some keys, but that was my point... still more intuitive than a 6 valve French C... :shock:
Not a problem. Just figure out and write in the fingerings on the Bydlo part. When it's done, but the instrument back in its case for the next time, heh, heh.

(But this ad did answer one question of mine--it has a tenor trombone mouthpiece in it, and therefore a tenor trombone shank. So it really is just a large-bore euphonium with lots of extra valves. I don't see any part of the taper that seems fatter than any modern euphonium. Thus, I cannot imagine that it sounds like anything but a euphonium with a really stuffy low register.)

Rick "recalling that Oscar Lagasse never did figure out his preferred fingerings on his 'French teakettle'" Denney
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

This is about when I figure that there's a pretty good reason that they don't build these things anymore. :)
Bandmaster
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Looking for a 6 valve French tuba?

Post by Bandmaster »

Lew wrote:Here's something you don't see every day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 55373&rd=1

Do they even make these any more? Are these legitimately called tubas, or if it really just a big euphonium? Wichita Band Instrument avoids the issue by calling it a Saxhorn, but they do say that it is really like a 6 valve euphonium.
Back in 1975 my college band went on a trip to Europe. We spent a free day in Paris so a friend and I went wandering around Paris and stumbled across a musical instrument factory. We went inside and since my friend spoke a little French he made them understand we were band musicians from the U.S. visiting. Well, they were as smiles and invitied us in and brought out a brand new french horn for my friend to try and they brought out a brand new 6 valve french tuba, just like the one in the eBay ad only in silver, for me to try. It weighed a ton for a smallish horn. It was definately bigger than a euphonium, but very small for a tuba. I can't remember what key it was in but it did play nice. Not a big deep tuba sound, but more of a euphoium on steriods sound. So at least in 1975 they were still making these horns.
Dave Schaafsma
1966 Holton 345 | 1955 York-Master | 1939 York 716 | 1940 York 702 | 1968 Besson 226 | 1962 Miraphone 186 | 1967 Olds | 1923 Keefer EEb | 1895 Conn Eb | 1927 Conn 38K | 1919 Martin Helicon
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

harold wrote:
bloke "who doesn't shy away from buying/building instruments of some expense, but the blokian requirement is that they must be something that will be played"
CC helicon meets this criteria?
I take it you haven't seen bloke's "in performance" pics yet:

viewtopic.php?t=4669