Ebay Meinl Weston BBb 4 valve rotary

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
avezan
lurker
lurker

Ebay Meinl Weston BBb 4 valve rotary

Post by avezan »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182384645719?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" target="_blank" target="_blank

What do you think of this tuba? I'm looking for a tuba for my daughter (who is in 7th grade, but fanatic about playing the tuba) . I would like to find something to take through HS and maybe beyond. I've been outbid on this one. Any ideas what the model is? Just searching current models it seems like it might be the 25 series? Thanks! :tuba:
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Ebay Meinl Weston BBb 4 valve rotary

Post by iiipopes »

Yes. It is roughly comparable to a Miraphone 186. I have played one. For me, with the 3rd slide coming up the bell stack, it seemed to be a little bit of a stretch to get my right hand over it from the thumb ring to the paddles. Otherwise, relatively good tone, intonation, and this one seems a good value. But for a 7th grader's hands, it might be a stretch.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

One benefit to playing tuba (and bass) in seventh grade (back in the day) was that my parents didn't have to buy or rent an instrument!!

:tuba:

The model 25 seems less-than-full size, as such, I wouldn't mind giving one a try myself.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Three Valves wrote:.... The model 25 seems less-than-full size....
The Meinl 20 and 25 are virtually the same horn except the bottom bow and bell have a bit larger diameter. The stature of the horns and valve sections are the same only with some minor variations of the tube routing.

Meinl 25 rotary tuba
17 5/8: flare
29 3/4" overall length
16 1/2" girth at bow ferrule (5.25" dia)

The Meinl 20 has a 16 1/2" diameter bell and the girth at the bow ferrule is 14 3/8" (4 1/2" dia.)

It's virtually impossible to tell the horns from a single picture. I don't know how the seller can tell if the horn is question is a 20 or 25 without at least providing the bell diameter.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
avezan
lurker
lurker

Post by avezan »

Thank you all! Ilipopes, that is very useful information. It might put this one out of the running. three valves - our music store won't rent tubas, she cannot bring home her school tuba, and the school tuba is really in bad shape. She was auditioning for our district band when it developed a hole in one of the tubes! Thankfully, one of the judges had some glue and was able to plug the hole and she was able to audition and got third chair. :) She was able to bring the tuba home for the thanksgiving break and she practiced several hours a day. I think she needs her own tuba to play at home that won't fall apart. :)
Dan, I have asked the seller to measure the bell. I can't find information about the 20 series with a quick google search. Has it been discontinued?

I'm also considering a King 2341 for $1K from a private seller and an Olds 99 at Baltimore Brass for $1300. The MW is definitely well above my comfort zone price wise, but if it is a good enough horn, and worth the price (as it seems to be) I'll try and make it work! Thanks again!
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

avezan wrote:...... Dan, I have asked the seller to measure the bell. I can't find information about the 20 series with a quick google search. Has it been discontinued?....
I think many of the Meinl-Weston tubas that were imported by Getzen in the sixties and seventies were model 20's with the 16 1/2" bell. Exactly when Meinl changed to the larger bottom and bell I don't know but I think they continued to offer both models for some time. I'm guessing that the larger bell was just a 'bigger is better' marketing thing. I've owned, played, and sold both models and didn't notice any significant differences in two.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
largobone
bugler
bugler

Post by largobone »

There are several good horns on Ebay right now for great prices: The MW you looked at, a few Miraphones, a vintage King 2341, a couple of relatively cheap Yamaha 321s, and a WAY underpriced Kalison Smith Model 5-valve CC. I'd say any of those are well worth the price. However, the Olds O99 you saw at Baltimore Brass looks like it would work very well too. Good luck, whatever you decide.
MM DePaul University
bass trombone, Evanston Symphony
trombone, Ohio Light Opera
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

The Meinl's are heavy and built like tanks and good players. You can't go wrong with an Olds 99 though. They aren't quite 4/4 and are a good size for students but can get a BIG sound out of them. I've had several 0-99's through the years. I sold them all and regretted it almost immediately. I recently bought one mainly because I missed the sound I could get out of it for the size and the fact that I don't break my back lugging it to practice. (and it was a bargain) :) I'd avoid the Meinl and go with the Olds IMHO.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.