German or USSR?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Re: German or USSR?

Post by toobagrowl »

Lignatone was a Cerveny stencil, right? Prolly a decent tuba.

I have a couple tubas with clockspring valves. Clockspring valves can work smooth and fast if in good shape.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Ya know, looking at that tuba again its hard to tell if its silver-plated or nickel-plated. Kinda looks silver to me. I think those paddles are just slightly bent from being used. The bell profile sure looks more 'German' (M-W or B&S bell) than Czech to me, but the rest of the horn looks more Czech (Cerveny) or Bohemian.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

toobagrowl wrote:Ya know, looking at that tuba again its hard to tell if its silver-plated or nickel-plated. Kinda looks silver to me. I think those paddles are just slightly bent from being used. The bell profile sure looks more 'German' (M-W or B&S bell) than Czech to me, but the rest of the horn looks more Czech (Cerveny) or Bohemian.
FWIW Bohemia encompassed both Markneukirchen (Germany) and Graslitz (Kraslice Czech Republic). Parts (valve sets, braces, etc.) flowed pretty freely in that area.
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

lowbrassmaniac wrote:
toobagrowl wrote:Lignatone was a Cerveny stencil, right? Prolly a decent tuba.

I have a couple tubas with clockspring valves. Clockspring valves can work smooth and fast if in good shape.
Yes it was made in the Cerveny Factory as a stencil more or less. Trying to figure out if this is nickel or silver plated. Also, does it look like the 4th valve linkage may be a little off to you?
If it was in fact built by Cerveny I would guess silver. What was the deciding factor that helped you figure out that it is a Lignatone?

Looks to me as if the third and fourth valve actuator assemblies have been swapped.
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.