Beat A** King Jumbo Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

Beat A** King Jumbo

Postby Kirley » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Kirley
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Beat A** King Jumbo

Postby KiltieTuba » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Wow, that's quite a price!
Those valve section parts aren't available anywhere - gonna be a costly endeavor for the buyer.

Part of me wants to buy this just for the body and bell, I could make good use of these.
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:31 am

Re: Beat A** King Jumbo

Postby tubapix » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:23 am

Serial# 82366 puts it @ 1904-1905 according to the HN White serial# page.
1989 Yamaha YBB 641(4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
User avatar
tubapix
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Re: Beat A** King Jumbo

Postby ajlewis3008 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:46 pm

maybe there is someone out there willing to buy it at that price, for me, the seller would need to come down about $3000 for it to be worth considering based on the amount of parts it needs. i don't know if the current king valves/necks/bits fit these things, i doubt they do, but it would be a fun horn to own if you could fix it.
ajlewis3008
lurker
lurker
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:33 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: Beat A** King Jumbo

Postby KiltieTuba » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:50 pm

tubapix wrote:Serial# 82366 puts it @ 1904-1905 according to the HN White serial# page.

No.

Date Serial Number
1893-1899 1-4,000
1900-1903 4,001-6,000
1904-1905 6,001-9,000
1905-1910 9,001-25,000
1910-1915 25,001-40,000
1915-1925 40,001-78,000
1925-1930 78,001-126,000

You've missed a thousand - #82,366 corresponds to between 1925-1930... Just like all of the other King Jumbos that were built between 1924-1930 (though probably only for a couple years as the Giant (model 1270) was introduced to replace the Jumbo (model 1265)).

ajlewis3008 wrote:maybe there is someone out there willing to buy it at that price, for me, the seller would need to come down about $3000 for it to be worth considering based on the amount of parts it needs. i don't know if the current king valves/necks/bits fit these things, i doubt they do, but it would be a fun horn to own if you could fix it.


No one I know will buy it at that price.

Put it this way - the bore on the Jumbo (model 1265) is .815". Kanstul has .815" rotary valves on their tubas, which means that they have the tubing needed to form the crook - and maybe even a crook or two that would work for the valve section - but those smaller crooks, like on the top third and second, would be quite difficult to make without some type of form/mandrel.

The valve caps can be machined pretty easily, but you'd have to get the knurling just right. The finger buttons are the same thread as modern Kings (mine has 2341 finger buttons). Bell screws could be machined as well.

The only terribly difficult part would be to fabricate the valve. That's the really expensive part.

If you want to just rip the section out of there, you could replace it with a Miraphone 1291 valve section (.835") or something similar in size. I wouldn't go smaller than the Conn .773" (like those found on the Grand Jumbos or the 36J tubas).

I'm quite tempted to just buy it myself - can't have too many Jumbos!*

*You can have too many, I know this.
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:31 am

Re: Beat A** King Jumbo

Postby lost » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Somebody may have contacted him because he dropped it 300 pretty quickly.

I found the best thing to do on ebay for sellers asking unreasonable prices is just to let it sit on your watch list until they get the idea nobody is interested in buying at the current price. I've had stuff sitting on my list for 4 years!
User avatar
lost
moderator
moderator
 
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:54 pm
Location: TubeNet Land

Re: Beat A** King Jumbo

Postby KiltieTuba » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:12 pm

lost wrote:Somebody may have contacted him because he dropped it 300 pretty quickly.

I found the best thing to do on ebay for sellers asking unreasonable prices is just to let it sit on your watch list until they get the idea nobody is interested in buying at the current price. I've had stuff sitting on my list for 4 years!


:wink:

eBay seller wrote:testing the waters


The seller really needs to take off a couple grand before it even becomes a reality for anyone.
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:31 am

Re: Beat A** King Jumbo

Postby tubapix » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:00 pm

KiltieTuba wrote:
tubapix wrote:Serial# 82366 puts it @ 1904-1905 according to the HN White serial# page.

No.

Date Serial Number
1893-1899 1-4,000
1900-1903 4,001-6,000
1904-1905 6,001-9,000
1905-1910 9,001-25,000
1910-1915 25,001-40,000
1915-1925 40,001-78,000
1925-1930 78,001-126,000

You've missed a thousand - #82,366 corresponds to between 1925-1930... Just like all of the other King Jumbos that were built between 1924-1930 (though probably only for a couple years as the Giant (model 1270) was introduced to replace the Jumbo (model 1265)).

Yup - missed the 2nd 6 when i wrote it down :oops:
1989 Yamaha YBB 641(4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
User avatar
tubapix
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Re: Beat A** King Jumbo

Postby lost » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:39 am

Well update...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/122565770386

The price has dropped but the close up of the valve section reveals it has completely cracked on the section near the 3rd valve. Its hard to see since the picture is blurry. Let me know if you disagree...

Thought about buying it until I noticed it...
User avatar
lost
moderator
moderator
 
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:54 pm
Location: TubeNet Land

Re: Beat A** King Jumbo

Postby bort » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:54 am

I know nothing about sousaphones... but would a different valve section work on this tuba? Or were the Jumbo valve sections bigger than and/or unique to other instruments?
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
User avatar
bort
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 8667
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:08 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Re: Beat A** King Jumbo

Postby lost » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Not sure bort. There have been conflicting reports of these bore sizes for king jumbos. Maybe kiltie can weigh in...

I had faith mr. Wilk would be able to custom fab any part missing as he has replaced cracked tubing before on my horns. But when you see something that bad like cracking deep in the spagetti tubing it equals hours and $$$.
User avatar
lost
moderator
moderator
 
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:54 pm
Location: TubeNet Land

Re: Beat A** King Jumbo

Postby KiltieTuba » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:56 pm

lost wrote:Well update...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/122565770386

The price has dropped but the close up of the valve section reveals it has completely cracked on the section near the 3rd valve. Its hard to see since the picture is blurry. Let me know if you disagree...

Thought about buying it until I noticed it...


No crack/broken parts I see on the third valve. Just a water key - same as all the other Jumbos...

bort wrote:I know nothing about sousaphones... but would a different valve section work on this tuba? Or were the Jumbo valve sections bigger than and/or unique to other instruments?


So the bore is the next size larger than the standard 12/16th King Giant. Remember, the standard King has a 11/16th inch bore (.687"), followed by the Giant at 12/16th inch (.750") and the Jumbo at 13/16th inch (.812"). Assuming you have a valve section that's close to that, it might work, but you'd probably just want the original valve section, which would mean making a new valve or two.

I know of one guy that has a valve section for this - I think it's a four-valve. He's been eyeing it for a while. We're all waiting for the price to come down as it's definitely overpriced given how much is missing from it.

Just to make it useable, you'd have to spend nearly a thousand for the valve, plus a couple hundred for the valve block overhaul... more for the caps and, of course, all the crooks. That's BIG tubing.

The valves area really long too - the bottom skirt is quite substantial. It's got a really long stroke. I have a picture somewhere of one next to some normal valves. It's quite a jump.

If someone buys it here, don't drop another valve section on to it, just make the new valve and get it working - not too many of these floating around.
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:31 am

Re: Beat A** King Jumbo

Postby KiltieTuba » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:06 am

OK so this sousaphone is now getting down to a realistic price...

If you had the desire, you could get all of the missing parts remade - OR - you could just get a Miraphone 1291 valve section (or the Chinese equivalent) and drop it on to the body. It's close enough - .835" to the King's .812" - that your probably wouldn't have to do all that much work to get it to play.
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:31 am


Return to Off-Site deals and Ads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests