For fans of the pre-WWII Bohemian tuba.

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

For fans of the pre-WWII Bohemian tuba.

Post by hubert »

FYI: Again there is an interesting early Bohemian tuba on the website of Uwe Schneider. It is a 5/4 Boehm. Same dimensions as the modern Melton 197.
Hubert
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Re: For fans of the pre-WWII Bohemian tuba.

Post by TheGoyWonder »

This has caught my interest for some reason. 5/4-ish is a good size, and it's always fun to have something a lil bit different. 15.75" bell (with JUST enough flare to be normal-looking) and about 45" tall. It has a wide bell throat, but the body seems only incrementally fatter than typical 4/4 tuba of the style. Big .827" bore, but long leadpipe so it's a mystery how it would play. Anybody play something similar?

Doesn't seem to actually have anything to do with a MW 197 - Horizontal vs vertical tuning slide for starts means totally different designs. But I don't see much about about Bohm other than the 5/4-ish York-like tubas that are nothing like this, maybe it just designates Bohemian region. Seems like mostly Bohland & Fuchs/Cerveny elements, but the large-scale proportions seem Alexandrian (tall top bow with big gap between 2nd/4th bows.) Anybody find a match for it??

toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Re: For fans of the pre-WWII Bohemian tuba.

Post by toobagrowl »

Some of those old Bohemian/German tubas can play really nice. But beware of potential hairline/spider cracks as they can 'hide' under that tarnish/patina :shock:

This may be a nice tuba, but I'd get those dents out of the leadpipe. I'd wipe it down with simple/safe (no ammonia) glass cleaner a couple times and leave the patina like it is, and maybe lacquer it :idea: