Professional rotary Children? Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

Professional rotary Children?

Postby tubapix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:22 pm

1989 Yamaha YBB 641(4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Re: Professional rotary Children?

Postby roweenie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Smoothly action 4 Rotary Piston Valves , type in tune
Trying to take life one day at a time
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Donn » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Well, it's an odd one for sure.
- 4 valves, but hasn't decided for sure whether Eb or F
- 8 2/3 inch bell, a little less than 1/2 inch bore.
- "Prof Children F/EB Tuba" -- Professor Children tuba? tuba for professional children?

The bell might be small enough to put this instrument half way in the cimbasso category. The bore is smaller than a bass trombone, but as an ostensibly conical design it may not matter so much.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Postby goodgigs » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:09 pm

It seems obvious to Me what's probably going on here is this,
"Wow we can't sell enough of these travel tubas !"
"I know, let's call children('s) tubas and see if we can move them that way !"
What else could it be ?
Brian "Goodgigs" Kane
goodgigs
6 valves
6 valves

Postby 58mark » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:34 pm

Mark
58mark
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 pm

no silly. :|

It's an amazing instrument DESIGNED BY PROFESSOR Children.
"Professor Children" is the BRAND NAME.
NOW do you get it...??
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby tofu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:03 pm

"free white gloves included"

This would make it Sousa approved.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Wyvern » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:09 pm

This is the travel tuba Wessex previous sold as the Bubbie manufactured by Hushen. You change the main tuning slide to lower to Eb.

These are good light travel tubas, but hardly ideal for Children as they take more work to play than a full size tuba.

The current Wessex TF135 Bubbie 5 is completely new design with larger bore and 5 valves.
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby ValveSlide » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:01 am

Wyvern wrote:This is the travel tuba Wessex previous sold as the Bubbie manufactured by Hushen. You change the main tuning slide to lower to Eb.

These are good light travel tubas, but hardly ideal for Children as they take more work to play than a full size tuba.

Actually, the original design http://jestaedt-instrumente.de/?page_id=340 is ideal for children. Children have a much smaller lung capacity and a lower flow rate. It's only more difficult for adults who want to pick it up and move the same rates as their regular instruments.

Marketing something for unintended use then criticizing it doesn't make much sense.
ValveSlide
The Tuba Persuader
The Tuba Persuader

Postby opus37 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:23 am

ValveSlide wrote:
Wyvern wrote:This is the travel tuba Wessex previous sold as the Bubbie manufactured by Hushen. You change the main tuning slide to lower to Eb.

Actually, the original design http://jestaedt-instrumente.de/?page_id=340 is ideal for children. Children have a much smaller lung capacity and a lower flow rate. It's only more difficult for adults who want to pick it up and move the same rates as their regular instruments.

Marketing something for unintended use then criticizing it doesn't make much sense.

Having 2 grand children who love to "play" grandpa's tubas and having owned this model and the Bubbie 5, I can say from their experience, that they have an easier time blowing my 1912 Martin than the original Bubbie. Additionally, the Bubbie 5 is easier and more fun for them because it has larger bore and the size is easy for them to handle. I think they prefer the Martin or to climb into my tuba chair and blow into my 28k. Based on this experience, I'd conclude that the Bubbie 5 or a 3/4 horn would be the better kids horn.
Brian
1893 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1906 York 640
1912 Martin Renowned Monster Eb
1932 Conn 28K Sousaphone
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
2017 Wessex BR140 Baritone
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Postby ValveSlide » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:41 am

opus37 wrote:Having 2 grand children who love to "play" grandpa's tubas...

Yep, there's "play" and then there's play. These were designed for very young children to learn on. To play, not "play." Once they can play, and not just "play," they can then move on to larger instruments.

And... The original Jestaedt is in a completely different league than these "copies."
ValveSlide
The Tuba Persuader
The Tuba Persuader

Postby Wyvern » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:11 am

ValveSlide wrote:And... The original Jestaedt is in a completely different league than these "copies."

The original Bubbie and the Jestaedt play very alike - not surprising as one is clone of the other, which Wessex incidentally had no hand in development (apart from the additional Eb slide) - but found and promoted in our earlier days, until we could develop something better.

Also if you look on the Jestaedt website you helpfully linked above - Jestaedt no longer even promote that small bore 'children' tuba themselves - but have made new large bore design for children.
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby ValveSlide » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:59 am

Jestaedt's quality is in a different league. I disagree that they played similarly. The manufacturing errors in the "copies" I've seen (actually made by "who knows...") added up to a more difficult instrument to use.

Why would Jestaedt continue to produce an instrument for a very small (micro?) market with a flood of cheaply made copies available?

They were a innovation mis-marketed by their copiers, imo.

The copies could still be of use for the original purpose, but less so for how some resellers marketed them, again, imo.
ValveSlide
The Tuba Persuader
The Tuba Persuader

Postby opus37 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:53 am

ValveSlide wrote:
opus37 wrote:And... The original Jestaedt is in a completely different league than these "copies."

Since I've never seen or played on an original Jestaedt instrument, I defer to your expertise on them. Do you think the instrument offered for sale in this ad is an original or one of the copies?
Brian
1893 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1906 York 640
1912 Martin Renowned Monster Eb
1932 Conn 28K Sousaphone
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
2017 Wessex BR140 Baritone
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Postby ValveSlide » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:15 am

opus37 wrote:Since I've never seen or played on an original Jestaedt instrument, I defer to your expertise on them. Do you think the instrument offered for sale in this ad is an original or one of the copies?

From eBay ad
Item location: Shandong, China

My guess? I might say copy. Its "qualities?" Only a buyer will know.

And to be clear, these were never intended as "travel tubas." They, indeed, were intended by the original designers at Jestaedt as an entry point to tuba playing for very young children.
ValveSlide
The Tuba Persuader
The Tuba Persuader

Return to Off-Site deals and Ads