Anyone heard of Gerhard Schneider Meister

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Brassdad
4 valves
4 valves

Anyone heard of Gerhard Schneider Meister

Post by Brassdad »

A few dents shown and some rotor work recommended.
Anything about the make?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
Brassdad
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Brassdad »

Ah knowledge.
Perhaps I have some one day.
Thanks.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

I believe that this brand was a stencil made in East Germany by what is now known as B&S. I would equate this to a VMI 2103. If it's anything like the current VMI 2103 it could be a decent horn, once any necessary work is done. If it sells for $300 and you put another $1500 you would have paid about what it's worth.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I have a Carl Wunderlich that is identical to this horn. A previous poster corectly noted that the Gerhard Schneider was made in what is now the B & S plant. These horns were also produced under the name 'Sonora'. The German-made Sanders (not the Chinese Imperial) are also the same. Mine is a great horn. The receiver on mine is stamped GDR... for German Democratic Republic... made in the 70's.
Last edited by Dan Schultz on Mon May 09, 2005 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

I played one of those at Bloke's store a few months ago while in Memphis. It was fairly well dented, in line "to be restored", and the valves were bone dry. The horn kicked ***.

Sounds like an Alexander except with a very nice scale. The F above the staff just rings and the low register is very big, full, and easy to play. I want one.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

TubaTinker wrote:I have a Carl Wunderlich that is identical to this horn. A previous poster corectly noted that the Gerhard Schneider was made in what is not the B & S plant. These horns were also produced under the name 'Sonora'. The German-made Sanders (not the Chinese Imperial) are also the same. Mine is a great horn. The receiver on mine is stamped GDR... for German Democratic Republic... made in the 70's.
Dan, it's hard to think of you or Bloke praising the output of a communist operation.

:P
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

bloke wrote:
Dan, it's hard to think of you or Bloke praising the output of a communist operation.

It is what it is. My "main horn" was made by Commies...

...and today, what are we supposed to do if we want a T.V., toaster, c.d., or picnic table umbrella? I we don't by these things made by Chinese political prisoners, we must do without them. :?
Yeah, no argument--we've painted ourselves into a corner. I hate when that happens. :(
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Chuck(G) wrote: Dan, it's hard to think of you or Bloke praising the output of a communist operation. :P
Heck... if a horn of the quality of my Carl W seems to be would have been made here in the States... it would have cost a zillion dollars! Actually, the American capitalists put many small shops in Eastern Europe out of business in the 60's and 70's because they could not meet contracts in the midst of their evolving economies.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.