Vintage Alexander 163 BBb

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Vintage Alexander 163 BBb

Post by bort »

If it's a B&S tuba with am Alex bell, that would explain the leadpipe weirdness.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

doublebuzzing wrote:Think of it this way: If it is a B&S made tuba you likely won't have such intonation issues as you would with a typical Alex
+1!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bort wrote:If it's a B&S tuba with am Alex bell, that would explain the leadpipe weirdness.
Knowing nothing of these instruments, I have to wonder why this wouldn't be the obvious explanation, rather than a counterfeit engraving on the kranz which seems like a mighty odd thing to do. Bells get swapped all the time, from what I understand I may be the one of the few who've owned several tubas and haven't ever transplanted a bell from one to the other.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

The flanges on the thumb ring and lyre holder on the Alex-engraved bell are B&S-style. More decorative. Most Alex flanges I've seen are mostly plain and rhomboidal. It would be odd to have a transplanted bell without transplanting that hardware as well, yes?
TheBerlinerTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheBerlinerTuba »

Donn wrote:
bort wrote:If it's a B&S tuba with am Alex bell, that would explain the leadpipe weirdness.
Knowing nothing of these instruments, I have to wonder why this wouldn't be the obvious explanation, rather than a counterfeit engraving on the kranz which seems like a mighty odd thing to do. Bells get swapped all the time, from what I understand I may be the one of the few who've owned several tubas and haven't ever transplanted a bell from one to the other.
Sorry just to kill that last bit of suspense...
The tuba is most likely 100% B&S including the bell. The small side of the bell that goes into the ferrel, on the B&S should be around 38-37.50cm in circumference. For an Alexander 163 BBb the circumference is 42-42.50cm. Although one could theoreticall shrink down the small end or expand the bell tenon, this is not a job for the faint of heart and it would leave telltale signs. However if you take a quick look at the picture on Ebay of the inside of the bell, you will see a continuous single seam which is SOP for most B&S BBb bells in the 1970s. On the Alexander 163s built up until the 1980s, there was a large triangle piece set in the flair.

The leadpipe has probably just been very poorly modified or repaired.

Have a good day everyone,
Cheers from Berlin
TheBerlinerTuba