Sanders Imperial- needs thumb ring

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Sanders Imperial- needs thumb ring

Post by Heavy_Metal »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANDERS-IMPERIA ... Swq~tZSEe-" target="_blank

This should be a B&S 101.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Sanders Imperial- needs thumb ring

Post by TheGoyWonder »

or the Made in Chyna edition. Not certain but I'd put my money on that.
Minkrott
bugler
bugler

Post by Minkrott »

I had a Sanders Imperial. "Made in china" was stamped on the linkage bar. Lousy lacquer but played and sounded ok. This one is missing a rotor cap and the first valve is separated from the second valve, in addition to the thumb ring. Repairman's special.
Last edited by Minkrott on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King 2341 New Style
King 2341 Recording Bell
GRBIC 1907 Eb
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

If the horn is branded Sanders 'Imperial'.... it was made in China. Sanders in recent years (since maybe 1970) is/was the house brand of Custom Music International. Their earlier Sanders line was indeed made my B & S/VMI. Maybe some of their earlier 'stencils' from Amati/Cerveny. I think they did a very good job of keeping up the quality standard even though the 'Imperial' tubas were Chinese.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
kontrabasstuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabasstuba »

Rudi Meinl in germany has the same thump rings on his tubas. You can order it by himself. No problem..
kontrabasstuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabasstuba »

Yes, that's a B&S one
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

Dan Schultz wrote:If the horn is branded Sanders 'Imperial'.... it was made in China. Sanders in recent years (since maybe 1970) is/was the house brand of Custom Music International. Their earlier Sanders line was indeed made my B & S/VMI. Maybe some of their earlier 'stencils' from Amati/Cerveny. I think they did a very good job of keeping up the quality standard even though the 'Imperial' tubas were Chinese.
I bought this Sanders Imperial. I find it interesting that the one I bought has nickel-silver slide tubes; but the one mentioned in this post has brass slide tubes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bb-Tuba-4-Valve ... true&rt=nc" target="_blank
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Gus_Pratt wrote:
Dan Schultz wrote:If the horn is branded Sanders 'Imperial'.... it was made in China. Sanders in recent years (since maybe 1970) is/was the house brand of Custom Music International. Their earlier Sanders line was indeed made my B & S/VMI. Maybe some of their earlier 'stencils' from Amati/Cerveny. I think they did a very good job of keeping up the quality standard even though the 'Imperial' tubas were Chinese.
I bought this Sanders Imperial. I find it interesting that the one I bought has nickel-silver slide tubes; but the one mentioned in this post has brass slide tubes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bb-Tuba-4-Valve ... true&rt=nc" target="_blank" target="_blank
The link you posted IS NOT a Sanders 'Imperial' but a bona-fide B & S/VMI 'stencil'.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

Dan Schultz wrote:
Gus_Pratt wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bb-Tuba-4-Valve ... true&rt=nc" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
The link you posted IS NOT a Sanders 'Imperial' but a bona-fide B & S/VMI 'stencil'.
All I know is that the bell says "Imperial" on it. You can not see it in the pictures, but it clearly says "Imperial". I suspect they were probably some B&S horns that were made as Imperials. I couldn't not find a makers country of origin on it anywhere.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Gus_Pratt wrote:.... All I know is that the bell says "Imperial" on it. You can not see it in the pictures, but it clearly says "Imperial". I suspect they were probably some B&S horns that were made as Imperials. I couldn't not find a makers country of origin on it anywhere.
Maybe I spoke too soon. I went back to the original listing and there is not an image of the bell engraving that's readable. I wonder where the Ebay seller got 'Saunders' from?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

The real question is- how does it play?
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop