York Eb Helicon Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

York Eb Helicon

Postby Gongadin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:46 pm

An unstable stable of C.G. Conn instruments.
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Re: York Eb Helicon

Postby BrooklynBass » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:48 am

Wow, the pricing is all over the place for these horns.

If this one is on the (very?) low end, and the (slightly) younger York currently for sale on eBay/Chicago CL is on the (very?) high end... I'm somewhat pleased to discover I paid somewhere in the middle* for my new-to-me, restored (circa 1920s with 4th valve mod) arriving via UPS in a couple of hours. (*The exact closing price of a high-end Fender P bass I just sold, so the timing was serendipitous).

My point/question is, what (un)desirable/collectale/other factors drive the price of these vintage York helicons? Is it purely a seller's market/Wild West, or are there niche characteristics unknown to me that are driving the up-to $1800 price differences between similarly-vintaged, restored eefers?
Eastman 632S "Stella" (Parker & Stofer-Geib mpcs)
Tricked-out Fender P Bass & Aguilar Amplification
In search of: CC sousa or helicon solution
--------------
Member, Brooklyn Wind Symphony
Director, L Train Brass Band
BrooklynBass
bugler
bugler

Postby KiltieTuba » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:47 pm

I don't expect an Eb helicon (three valves) to sell for more than, say, 700-800 in good condition. If restored, say, 1000-1200.
Four valve models are of more value.

There's a York Eb helicon on eBay that originally sold for 1300 something, then the buyer relisted it immediately for 2200 something. No change in functionality or condition. Last I saw, it was still sitting there without a bid.

I have a York Eb helicon body and a York 4v Eb block that could get put together... just on the back burner until I can get the 5v CC Martin helicon up and running.
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Donn » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:06 pm

There are probably niche characteristics unknown to you, but they're probably unknown to most of the rest of us potential bidders. Of course some bidders can bring back the Wild West single-handed, but I mean the knowledgeable market is very small and saturated.

Let us know how yours turns out!
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Return to Off-Site deals and Ads