York Eb Helicon

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

York Eb Helicon

Post by Gongadin »

Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Re: York Eb Helicon

Post by Ltrain »

Wow, the pricing is all over the place for these horns.

If this one is on the (very?) low end, and the (slightly) younger York currently for sale on eBay/Chicago CL is on the (very?) high end... I'm somewhat pleased to discover I paid somewhere in the middle* for my new-to-me, restored (circa 1920s with 4th valve mod) arriving via UPS in a couple of hours. (*The exact closing price of a high-end Fender P bass I just sold, so the timing was serendipitous).

My point/question is, what (un)desirable/collectale/other factors drive the price of these vintage York helicons? Is it purely a seller's market/Wild West, or are there niche characteristics unknown to me that are driving the up-to $1800 price differences between similarly-vintaged, restored eefers?
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: York Eb Helicon

Post by Donn »

There are probably niche characteristics unknown to you, but they're probably unknown to most of the rest of us potential bidders. Of course some bidders can bring back the Wild West single-handed, but I mean the knowledgeable market is very small and saturated.

Let us know how yours turns out!