Sarasota CL: 4 Valve Besson With Cases Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

Sarasota CL: 4 Valve Besson With Cases

Postby edsel585960 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:23 am

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/msg/d/p ... 73026.html" target="_blank Nice horn and cases. I love these horns except for not being able to see around the bell. :wink: Great players. Not mine. I'm trying to thin out my BAT herd, not get more. :lol:
20-21 J
22 J
Olds 99
26 K, Wessex Mighty Midget, Cerveny 693, Mirafone 186, MW 20
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Sarasota CL: 4 Valve Besson With Cases

Postby the elephant » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:53 am

Of course, the seller is insane. Current price for such quality = $15,000??? He is on meth.
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby edsel585960 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:19 pm

the elephant wrote:Of course, the seller is insane. Current price for such quality = $15,000??? He is on meth.

Barnum said it best. :lol:
20-21 J
22 J
Olds 99
26 K, Wessex Mighty Midget, Cerveny 693, Mirafone 186, MW 20
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Postby TheGoyWonder » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:47 pm

I think the collar of a King 19" or 22" bell fits. Don't know if the bell throat clears the top bow, or whether it would play well (not sure why it wouldn't tho)
TheGoyWonder
3 valves
3 valves

Postby the elephant » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:13 pm

If it cleared the top bow (it would be very close) it would be shorter than the recording bell and require a MTS pull of about two inches, I *think*... I remember having tried this back in the late 1980s and not liking the result, but that could have been that particular horn. It is a top-valved compensator with all the horrible low range stuffiness and the inability to correct the less-tha-perfect intonation. I despise the 3+1 compensating Besson tubas. All of them. However, I really like many of the small-ish 3 valved compensators, which, for me, play very well with better intonation and response than the 4 valved ones. If you are not having to play them below a low Eb much they are a lot of fun with few troubles for the player.

However, the horn in the advert is one I would steer clear of, personally. Not worth the effort and expense to make it "good" and not good enough for me to drop that sort of money on.

This is just me, however. I understand that a lot of guys like these. To them I would say, even with the cases, that this tuba is overpriced by about a grand, IMHO.

Not trying to piss in anyone's Corn Flakes, here. Just expressing my personal experiences with this specific tuba and Bessons in general. (By the way, those smaller 3 valved comp BBb in their Imperial guise are more attractive to me than the Sovereign version, if anyone GAS.) ;-)
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby TheGoyWonder » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:15 pm

i would say yes, the comp range can be crazy stuffy even with strong normal range. cool idea, doesn't work (although it does for euphoniums). On most german tubas if you push 4th all the way in you can get a better low Eb than these things... even false tone for american tubas is no worse.
TheGoyWonder
3 valves
3 valves

Postby the elephant » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:20 pm

The bore size of a tuba relative to a euphonium (in this specific instance) is far smaller with a far bigger bell throat. I think compensation works well on a euph because of this, and not so well on a full sized BBb with 4 valves. Just looking at it (scaling up a euph in my mind) would require a tuba with a 1.5" bore, which would quickly become un-fillable, air-wise. The euph has always stuck me as a much more dialed-in instrument than pretty much any tuba. We have so much design diversity because no one has come up with a tuba that works as well as a euph that is physically playable. I think of the tuba more like a very large English baritone horn, or a euphonium bell that tapers down to something the size of a piccolo trumpet leadpipe. The tuba seems to be more French horn than euphonium, IMHO, just played in the lower partials, but same relative taper rate. The tuba is still more severe, however.

If you exactly double a compensating euphonium in all respects you would have a great tuba that we are all too small to play very effectively. Again, my opinion. No claim of factualness here. Just personal experience and musing.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Return to Off-Site deals and Ads