Vintage King Sousaphone

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Vintage King Sousaphone

Post by humBell »

Me neither (er, i am also not sure of wall hanger vs. restorability status of this instrument)

But seller is vaguely in my range for the local pick up required, and i confess to eyeing his other low brass offering which may be worse off than this, but cheaper and, well, stranger.

If i bite on that, and pick that up, i'll ask if'n i can check this out as well...
Thanks for playing!
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Gongadin »

humBell wrote:Me neither (er, i am also not sure of wall hanger vs. restorability status of this instrument)

But seller is vaguely in my range for the local pick up required, and i confess to eyeing his other low brass offering which may be worse off than this, but cheaper and, well, stranger.

If i bite on that, and pick that up, i'll ask if'n i can check this out as well...
I confess to eyeing one of his other offerings which is cheaper and stranger.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-unopen ... SwO7haCjr3
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

FWIW I have a silver plated full circle Reynolds eefer sousaphone in much better condition that I would be happy to sell for not much more than this ... not to mention a Wessex Conn 28K clone in EX condition that I would be happy to sell for about twice this amount with an SKB hard case ...
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

I'd want a picture of the valve pistons and a picture of the outside of the bottom bow. There is something weird going on with the valve slides because they are taped up. The finish looks horrible but if it is just a finish that flaked off, it could be cleaned off and refinished. It appears that nothing is rotted out and there are few if any difficult dents to straighten. The valve block would be easy to remove to send it in to have it rebuilt if it needs it and the valve slides could be refurbished at the same time.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Gongadin wrote:
humBell wrote:Me neither (er, i am also not sure of wall hanger vs. restorability status of this instrument)

I confess to eyeing one of his other offerings which is cheaper and stranger.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-unopen ... SwO7haCjr3
Wow! I hadn't noticed he had another King for sale! I wonder what pitch a King crab plays in...

Nah, that other thing i saw was https://www.ebay.com/itm/142565900799 which i PMed a tubenetter in response to their wanted posting for a vintage rotary Eb helicon. But this was a little too vintage...

Thanks for playing!
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

humBell wrote:Wow! I hadn't noticed he had another King for sale! I wonder what pitch a King crab plays in...

Nah, that other thing i saw was https://www.ebay.com/itm/142565900799 which i PMed a tubenetter in response to their wanted posting for a vintage rotary Eb helicon. But this was a little too vintage...

I've had my eye on this too. Most likely in F but who knows. Needs a LOT of work but if it isn't all rotten probably a better deal than the OP King eefer at the price.
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.