SF CL: York Eb Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

SF CL: York Eb

Postby hrender » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:25 pm

hal.
hrender
6 valves
6 valves

Re: SF CL: York Eb

Postby Heliconer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:06 am

oh so tempting....
A bunch of metal fart noise machines
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:21 am

For pistons that old that appear to be in that good a condition, I would have posted one more photo to show the other side so that no one could later accuse me of trying to pull a fast one. If they are really *that* good and the casings have just as little wear this would be worth a very decent price. Now, whether a grand is that price remains to be seen. I have never seen one of these go for much more than about $750 in great shape. Of course, everything costs more in the Bay area, heh, heh...

I would really like to play this tuba to see how the low end shakes out and to look at that one guard that looks like it may be coming loose. I would also like to really examine the leadpipe and other bits for wear.

I am not sure I would offer this guy more than the $750 I mentioned. Tough call without being able to play the horn and look it over.
I have no comment at this time.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby lost » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:15 pm

I payed about 750 or 8 from the identical one I bought from Dan. I payed more because it was front action which seem more rare. Nice horns.
lost

Postby KiltieTuba » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 pm

the elephant wrote:For pistons that old that appear to be in that good a condition, I would have posted one more photo to show the other side so that no one could later accuse me of trying to pull a fast one. If they are really *that* good and the casings have just as little wear this would be worth a very decent price. Now, whether a grand is that price remains to be seen. I have never seen one of these go for much more than about $750 in great shape. Of course, everything costs more in the Bay area, heh, heh...

I would really like to play this tuba to see how the low end shakes out and to look at that one guard that looks like it may be coming loose. I would also like to really examine the leadpipe and other bits for wear.

I am not sure I would offer this guy more than the $750 I mentioned. Tough call without being able to play the horn and look it over.

Given that the current owner has had it for 15 or so years, I would say he’s taken care of it. Nice price.
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:44 pm

It only has limited use as it only has three valves. The price is too high. And what does the past fifteen years of "taking care of it" have to do with the fact that it is very old? Not much. There were a lot more than fifteen years of use on it before this owner came along. It needs four or five valves because the false tones on these are not that good, unless your basic tone is one of being pinched and with an open water key, in which case this horn would have "great false tones". A 3 valved bass tuba is useless for most stuff and more of a novelty than anything. But if someone wants to drop a grand on such an old tuba - sight unseen - that can only play down to a low A using real (non-false) tones then hey, more power to them. People get excited over some pretty weird things. Bad choices abound. Go nuts. If you think this is a "nice price" then buy it and mark it up. Obviously you think that it could sell for more, since that is what a nice price would be. I would never advise someone spend more than $500 on one of these unless they can first try it out and have it thoroughly examined. I had one of these that was in similar condition and got it for a very fair price of $500. It was not a nice price at all, just a fair one. A nice price would have been about $400. A thousand dollars for a very old 3 valved tuba in Eb with known pitch issues through the entire line of this design (with rare exceptions, granted) is just too much. People always tend to overvalue their stuff.

Of course, some people have a lot of money and zero common sense, so some poor Bay Area guy will think this is both rare (it is not rare at all) and magically delicious (because it says York on the bell) and it is not. It will likely have a stuffy, sharp low Bb that cannot be hit directly above a forte, with a low A that is similar, and with a D below the staff that is uselessly flat. Oh, and a low Ab on down that sound like a water key is open. These are not that great as tubas. They are just very big for being bass tubas. They sound wonderful. That is it. A grand is just too much.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby lost » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:20 pm

I think mine plays great. Kanstul copied this basic design for their eb but I heard they made some modifications. The uprights aren't rare, but the front action I would challenge, are.
lost

Postby Donn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 pm

My Eb has only 3 valves. I forget if it cost me $200, or $250. It's fun, enough fun that it was absolutely worth $250. Maybe this one is the best 3 valve bass tuba ever, and in that case ... maybe $350.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Postby lost » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:27 pm

Donn wrote:My Eb has only 3 valves. I forget if it cost me $200, or $250. It's fun, enough fun that it was absolutely worth $250. Maybe this one is the best 3 valve bass tuba ever, and in that case ... maybe $350.

Is it a york? Like it or not, Yorks get a markup.

And deservedly so...
lost

Postby groovlow » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks for posting all of the interesting horns HR.
I'm always in the market :)
:tuba:
groovlow
bugler
bugler

Postby Tubajug » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Are these still the 0.656ish bore size?
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
H.N. White King Eb
Conn 12J

Used to own, but still a fun thread: Lyon & Healy Eb

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Postby the elephant » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:47 pm

Yes. Bell and outer branches the size of a new 2341.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Return to Off-Site deals and Ads