"Authentic HAYDN!"

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

What great news! You just don't see that many classical-era 200 year old tubas up for sale!
:P
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

"We are ALL AMERICAN INVESTORS LLC, a USA company and the only USA distributor for HAYDN MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS.
HAYDN MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS are manufactured in Shanghai, China and then exported to the USA to be made available for purchase."

I bet Donald Trump has apprentices there...
I know I'd buy all my baroque/classical tuba needs there!
Todd S. Malicoate
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Todd S. Malicoate »

Winner pays $159 for insured shipping if they live in the 48 continental USA states.
$159 shipping for a 10-pound, oversize 1 item????? Are they nuts? I ship stuff TWICE this size and 5 TIMES heavier for $50-$75 with $999 insured value. I smell a rat...
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

The shipping charge for the euphonium-sized tuba is because eBay doesn't charge a fee on shipping costs, just on the selling price of the item. You can see a bunch of other Chinese brasses where the starting (and the ending) bid is a dollar, but the shipping charge is somewhere around $200.

Does anyone know what the prototype for this instrument was, given that lower-grade Chinese tubas are generally freely-interpreted copies of some mainline makier's horn?

I'm trying to think of an Eb with a 13" bell and I'm drawing a blank.

Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

HAYDN out?

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Paul M wrote:Yeah that was pretty funny. I tried to look up the company just to see what they were talking about, but as far as I can see, there is no HAYDN.
"You can be RUNNIN', but you can't be HAYDN"? :oops:
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Chuck(G) wrote:Does anyone know what the prototype for this instrument was, given that lower-grade Chinese tubas are generally freely-interpreted copies of some mainline makier's horn?

I'm trying to think of an Eb with a 13" bell and I'm drawing a blank.
It looks similar (not identical) in size and shape to the Couesnon Eb that TubaTinker listed a week or two ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Anybody know of anything closer? (Noticed the little "trailer hitch" on the bottom bow ... a Buescher, maybe?)
Paul M wrote:Ah you're driving MENOTTI, I'll be BACH.
Can't HANDEL it, eh? :wink:
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Kevin Hendrick wrote:[
Anybody know of anything closer? (Noticed the little "trailer hitch" on the bottom bow ... a Buescher, maybe?)
Well, there was a very small Besson model with a 14" bell and the tuning slide where Nature intended tuning slides to be...can't find a picture of one, though.
Daryl Fletcher
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Daryl Fletcher »

From the description:
...or provide plenty of bottom for almost any caliber Wind Ensemble.
:wink:
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Daryl Fletcher wrote:From the description:
...or provide plenty of bottom for almost any caliber Wind Ensemble.
caliber, n
2 a : the diameter of a bullet or other projectile b : the diameter of a bore of a gun usually expressed in hundredths or thousandths of an inch and typically written as a decimal fraction <.32 caliber>
:)
Daryl Fletcher
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Daryl Fletcher »

Well, I've heard of pea shooters...
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Chen »

So, has anyone actually played these tubas?
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

harold wrote:I won't waste any more of my time on these horns - I already wasted 2 hours of my like that I can't ever have back.
Ahhh! Can't Handel it, eh? :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

harold wrote:Yup - I played one at the importer's office in Kent, WA. If I purchased one, I would need to pay the same shipping even if I picked it up myself.

It is a big shiny piece of crap. The valves sucked, the metal was thin, there were a ton of intonation problems.

I buy a lot of tubas and I can tell you that you can't get a decent horn for less than $1,500 unless it needs a ton of work or the seller is a total idiot.

I won't waste any more of my time on these horns - I already wasted 2 hours of my like that I can't ever have back.
Interesting, I was thinking about driving down there and trying one. So you think I would be wasting my time?