What does the TNFJ think of this Miraphone 190 BB flat?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

What does the TNFJ think of this Miraphone 190 BB flat?

Post by WakinAZ »

groth
3 valves
3 valves

Re: What does the TNFJ think of this Miraphone 190 BB flat?

Post by groth »

Nothing about it looks "Miraphone". Since it's a very rare horn, maybe though. Caution should be considered. Not a bad price for a a potential winner either way.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Well, I had a 190 once upon a time. '80s. It looked more or less like this, as best as I can remember which is not much, but with different valve linkage. I believe the conventional wisdom is that the '80s 190 wasn't a big winner, but the later CC version is much better - and maybe the BBb has also improved since then. It wasn't the tuba for me at the time, but the guy who I suppose still has it now seemed to like it pretty well.

None of that is going to tell you much about this thing, though. You have to go check it out in person, or take your chances. It's a looker, though, so at worst it shouldn't be too hard to unload if you can't make it work for you. (Save the photos, that's pretty good work there.)
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

I've played several 190s. Think of manning a huge German cannon and you'll get the idea. If the conductor is annoying you, simply point the 190 at the podium, play your best fortissimo, and it might just knock him down. But when one of these has issues, you'll know it. I played one not long ago that had a deteriorated rotor stop bumper, and the slight misalignment made it play those notes way sharp.

ISTR Miraphone doesn't make these tubas anymore, so their prices can only go up. If you're interested, go for it.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

How is the low end, specifically the low F/ fourth valve?
I tend to reject any horn where that note is not solid.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

If you love the way a horn plays, and its price is really right, main tuning devices/slide length alteration can solve intonation issues, if you’re willing to learn. Horizontal main slides more of a challenge, but still doable
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

A different looking Miraphone engraving than usual, but it also looks pretty old.

Probably a pretty decent tuba, but not going to be as point and shoot as a 186... and will take some navigating. Just guesses. If you want a Kaiser BBb, maybe a good price point to try one out?
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

Thanks guys, keep it coming.
:arrow: I was asking about the low range response above -anyone have an opinion on that?
I'm not a fan of having to sneak up on notes, especially really important ones like the F four ledger lines below the staff.
I've had to use adult fingerings on several past horns, and I tend to lip things quite a bit, so I'm not too worried about intonation as long as it's decent.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I don't remember any problem with low F. I suspect this is not the kind of tuba where one is likely to have that particular problem, just considering the generous bore and not too extravagant proportional enlargement.
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

Tempting as it is, I think I'm gonna pass and keep my powder dry for more of a known quantity. I realize there are varying opinions on most models, but this one seems to stack up somewhere between "air hog dog" and "can be ok, maybe".

Also a forty+ year old horn that looks that good was likely not played much? Dunno.
Also, this seller is not tenured, and another listing indicates he cannot blow an open note to even see what key a tuba is in. So he doesn't know much about tubas. Not sure that really matters, but just one more thing that gives me pause.
To his credit, he is very responsive and sent extra pics and answered my questions.

As always, my thoughts and prayers go out to the TNFJ.
I rely on you guys to pump the brakes a bit sometimes.

Eric "still shopping" L.
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

I live in Lake Charles so I'll go play the horn and give my opinion on it. It belonged to Henry Alexander who also donated 3 of the 4 tubas my community band owns. I play the Melton 2155R he donated many years ago.
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

Okay, I went and played the horn. Here is the good and bad:

The Good:
- It is a genuine Miraphone (Mirafone) 190
- The low register plays in tune and doesn't feel stuffy at all. Low F pops right out with plenty of intensity.
- The horn isn't too heavy and it sits nicely on the lap with easy access to the 1st tuning slide. No stand required.
- The overall tone is basically a 186 on steroids. Has the 186 bark but with more meat behind it. Can easily burn without trying too hard.
- The 3rd partial is surprisingly close to being in tune. No need for alternate fingerings on 3rd partial pitches.

The Bad:
- The horn needs some dent work done. There is a big dent in the bottom bow, but the biggest concern is the dent in the leadpipe. Leadpipe dents affect the intonation and response greatly.
- The valves are sluggish, just needs cleaning and oil though.
- The biggest problems of this horn are definitely intonation wise though. The 5th and 8th partial are EXTREMELY FLAT. I'm talking 5th partial sounds a sharp Db and 8th partial sounds a sharp A. Using alternate fingerings does make the D and high Bb more usable but just something to note.

The guy will take $3000 for the horn AS-IS with the case. He will sell it repaired though for $3200. If you're interested I will leave his email and the pictures here. You can also PM me as well.

Email: jbreezy642@aol.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

I hate to bring up an old thread, but this is a 187 BB with just some minor MTS differences maybe because it's an older model. It's NOT a 190 BBb for sure.
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

Definitely not a 187. I owned a 187. The 187 did not exist during the Mirafone (with an f) era.

A B-flat Miraphone when this was made would be a 184 185 186 or 190. So what the heck is it then?
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

WakinAZ wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:29 pm Definitely not a 187. I owned a 187. The 187 did not exist during the Mirafone (with an f) era.

A B-flat Miraphone when this was made would be a 184 185 186 or 190. So what the heck is it then?
It's certainly NOT a 190 that is for 100% sure, I own one. And as far as I know, they never change the bugle design or MTS on them to look like this. Prototype 187 before it went into production?