pre-Siegfried BAT

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Re: pre-Siegfried BAT

Post by LCTuba89 »

Unless you're prepared for an extremely flat 5th and 8th partial, I would not pay that amount of money. I've played the horn and it needs dent work, especially in the lead pipe.
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Dillon's has one too... wonder if it's any better?

https://www.dillonmusic.com/used-miraph ... -tuba.html" target="_blank
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

It's different, for sure. Hmmm. I should have noticed it earlier - the ebay instrument has a sideways main tuning slide, like 186 etc. 190 was lengthwise - mine was if I remember right, and I see this cited as a distinctive 190 feature elsewhere. And that Dillon instrument likewise - the proportions seem off to me, but I really don't remember that well. So ... what is that ebay tuba? They wouldn't make major changes like that and keep the same model number, would they?

Last edited by Donn on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

If it's not a 190 then I don't know what it is. All I can tell you is that it dwarfs my 2155R and that's not a small tuba either. It's definitely in the same size class as a large Cerveny. It's easy to hold though, you don't need to put it on the chair to reach the lead pipe and the slides are easy to access.
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

LCTuba89 wrote:Unless you're prepared for an extremely flat 5th and 8th partial, I would not pay that amount of money. I've played the horn and it needs dent work, especially in the lead pipe.
Sounds like praising with faint damning...useless 5th partial, and a pocket of goofy high notes needing alt fingering, is a given with most rotary tubas anyways. how flat is 2nd partial/low BBb, that's the real danger with this family of tubas.
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

TheGoyWonder wrote:
LCTuba89 wrote:Unless you're prepared for an extremely flat 5th and 8th partial, I would not pay that amount of money. I've played the horn and it needs dent work, especially in the lead pipe.
Sounds like praising with faint damning...useless 5th partial, and a pocket of goofy high notes needing alt fingering, is a given with most rotary tubas anyways. how flat is 2nd partial/low BBb, that's the real danger with this family of tubas.
Honestly, the 2nd partial Bb was very close in-tune. Every partial on that horn was solid except the ones mentioned. I didn't go above the 8th partial to test those notes, but I'm pretty sure they need alternates as well.
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Could this be a BAT Cerveny with a Mirafone 190 bell? A lot of it does look like Mirafone, but there are some braces and things about it that look a bit like Cerveny.
Tubas
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

The owner quoted me $4000 for the tuba if all dents removed, valves cleaned, aligned, new bumpers, etc.
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Tabor wrote:Could this be a BAT Cerveny with a Mirafone 190 bell? A lot of it does look like Mirafone, but there are some braces and things about it that look a bit like Cerveny.
Dunno about a Cerveny, but the body of the tuba does look different. The rotary section with it's nylon sockets and, of course the bell, scream Mirafone. But the two-piece nickle-silver leadpipe and the wrap and taper of the outer bows (to me) scream vintage B&M or Meinl/Melton. And I think there have been some older B&M tubas with that type of bracing :?: :idea:
Either way, an interesting tuba :!: