Austin CL: Conn 36J?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Austin CL: Conn 36J?

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

By the looks of the short action valves, this is a 26J. Rare, super cool horn. Looks in great shape, too!
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

I have contacted the owner and am awaiting photos. Expecting to buy this horn. Will post here if deal does not "make" for any reason. Meanwhile, thank you for your forbearance and courtesy. Paul.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Super rare beast. Definitely not from the 60's though as they quit making 26J's in the 40's.. Unless they were custom order only at that time. Mine is from 1940.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

PRO wrote:I have contacted the owner and am awaiting photos. Expecting to buy this horn. Will post here if deal does not "make" for any reason. Meanwhile, thank you for your forbearance and courtesy. Paul.
And if you do complete the transaction, and wish to explain how cool it is so as we can live vicariously, that wouldn't be taken amiss. Well, i'd appreciate it at least. But i suppose i'm not the only one who frequents here...
Thanks for playing!
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Hi HumBell,

The owner called back last night. With my guidance, he located the serial number -- it is a 1935 model. He is holding the horn for me, because I will be playing it and not collecting". Also because it is a "local" pickup -- "only" a seven hour round trip -- which would spare him the agony of packing. He will send more photos today, and we will speak again tonight.

Yes, I will indeed keep everyone posted.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

hrender wrote:I was just going off of the domain name. No idea why the seller listed it on the Austin (TX) Craigslist. There is an Austin NY, but it's SW of Syracuse, while Buskirk is NE of Albany near the Vermont border.
Weird things happen - recently a tubist friend in England sent me a link to a tuba on ebay.co.uk that was listed for local pickup only. In Columbus, Ohio??? I snagged it. :P
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Last night, I asked the seller why he listed it in Austin TX. He said he did not know what he was thinking -- considering that he wants to do a "local pickup only".
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Did you get it? Wonder why the owner created a new listing. If it is legit, it definitely is worth the 7 hour drive to get it. Shame to see these rare horns just added to someone's collection so I agree with you. I play mine regularly and it's my favorite horn. Doesn't have the flat F either. Love the short actions.
Here is the link to the thread on my 26J. Lots of before and after restoration pictures too.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77914&p=618694&hili ... 6J#p618694" target="_blank" target="_blank
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Here is the promised update. Seller has been out of action for two days with health problems. He called me today and we struck a deal. Seller subsequently withdrew his ads from CraigsList. I expect to do a local pickup in a week or two.

To answer TubaJohn, the new listing was for Rochester, which seems to be the next CraigsList region West of Albany. The seven-hour drive is what it is -- when you get to be my age, even a 2-hr drive can seem like a lot. This will be my new "concert-band horn". I have never been a tuba collector, although they do seem to accumulate -- will be putting about ten of them up for sale shortly -- please stay tuned. I, too, love short action horns, particularly now that the right hand is partly disabled. Thanks for the link to your restoratation -- wow! Could you please send contact info about George Borodi?