NOLA CL: St. Pete Eb

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Re: NOLA CL: St. Pete Eb

Post by eupho »

I have sent two emails to the seller with no response.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

eupho wrote:I have sent two emails to the seller with no response.
Rant, may be off topic:

When I sell something locally on Cl and someone from 1500 miles away asks about my product, I explain to them that the reason I am selling it locally, it to avoid shipping, the hassle of having to pack it and drive it to the station, and the responsibility for the instrument while in transit and the cost of shipping, as the buyer often wants you to cover it or adjust in consequence.

What I like from a buyer is that they say there interested ask all their questions in the first email, haggle on the price in email or over the phone before arranging a meetup and then show up on time with the cash. People who are crystal clear in their communications.

What I hate: People who keep negotiating even after you've settled on a price via e-mail. People who expect shipping to be free. People who have endless questions. People who don't understand that a local classifieds is that and expect that because I posted it and they can see it, I should automatically want to ship it to them for the lowest cost. People who expect me to research the cheapest means of shipping.

I'm not saying that that's what going on here, but I have ignored requests that I didn't have a way to answer politely to. (ie. If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all)

End rant...
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

and that was necessary becaue..........
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

PMeuph wrote:
eupho wrote:I have sent two emails to the seller with no response.
Rant, may be off topic:

When I sell something locally on Cl and someone from 1500 miles away asks about my product, I explain to them that the reason I am selling it locally, it to avoid shipping, the hassle of having to pack it and drive it to the station, and the responsibility for the instrument while in transit and the cost of shipping, as the buyer often wants you to cover it or adjust in consequence.

What I like from a buyer is that they say there interested ask all their questions in the first email, haggle on the price in email or over the phone before arranging a meetup and then show up on time with the cash. People who are crystal clear in their communications.

What I hate: People who keep negotiating even after you've settled on a price via e-mail. People who expect shipping to be free. People who have endless questions. People who don't understand that a local classifieds is that and expect that because I posted it and they can see it, I should automatically want to ship it to them for the lowest cost. People who expect me to research the cheapest means of shipping.

I'm not saying that that's what going on here, but I have ignored requests that I didn't have a way to answer politely to. (ie. If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all)

End rant...
I agree with some of these (as a seller only). But when you post something for sale "online" it goes EVERYWHERE so you have to expect questions and people wanting to buy your item (especially a tuba of interesting origin). If the posters' "rant" was "off topic" then perhaps we should eliminate this whole sub-section of Craigslist & eBay postings if it opens up the seller to be burdened with unnecessary contact? If the instrument was sold, DELETE the ad immediately it's actually simple and voila', no more e-mails or calls.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

groth wrote:[But when you post something for sale "online" it goes EVERYWHERE so you have to expect questions and people wanting to buy your item (especially a tuba of interesting origin).
Hm, it may go everywhere, in some way of looking at the question, but craigslist specifically models itself along the lines of physical geography. In normal craigslist use, I'd pick a location - normally, my location. Here in this forum, we (everywhere) are treated to the sight of tubas that have been offered up for sale in different areas, but the seller doesn't have any reason to expect that. You could reasonably expect people wanting to buy your item, but locally; you could be excused from thinking a request from a far away location might as well be from Nigeria.

(Sorry if you're from Nigeria - that must get old!)
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Donn wrote:
groth wrote:[But when you post something for sale "online" it goes EVERYWHERE so you have to expect questions and people wanting to buy your item (especially a tuba of interesting origin).
Hm, it may go everywhere, in some way of looking at the question, but craigslist specifically models itself along the lines of physical geography. In normal craigslist use, I'd pick a location - normally, my location. Here in this forum, we (everywhere) are treated to the sight of tubas that have been offered up for sale in different areas, but the seller doesn't have any reason to expect that. You could reasonably expect people wanting to buy your item, but locally; you could be excused from thinking a request from a far away location might as well be from Nigeria.

(Sorry if you're from Nigeria - that must get old!)
I understand sellers may be expecting a local guy to buy their horn and that the average seller (off of TubeNet Forums) might not be willing to ship. If this could in part be a problem or a concern with some people, like I mentioned perhaps don't post any Craigslist ads as to keep all the unwanted e-mails and bother aside from the seller. We are all like kid's in a candy store with horn, and distance doesn't matter to most of us so this will happen if we're in the market for a specific horn and we see one come up like this one as Euph pointed out. It was posted for sale, the owner should be aware he now has opened himself up to contact from anywhere. He can ignore or answer as he chooses.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

groth wrote:[like I mentioned perhaps don't post any Craigslist ads as to keep all the unwanted e-mails and bother aside from the seller.
I don't think we need to go that far. Emails from the Tubenet crowd aren't going to be awfully numerous, I'd think, and the seller is free to delete them. I'm just saying, be aware of the situation you're in: the item is up for sale in a local market. I think that's all PMeuph was saying (with regard to the local/shipping issue, anyway.)
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Donn wrote:
groth wrote:[like I mentioned perhaps don't post any Craigslist ads as to keep all the unwanted e-mails and bother aside from the seller.
I don't think we need to go that far. Emails from the Tubenet crowd aren't going to be awfully numerous, I'd think, and the seller is free to delete them. I'm just saying, be aware of the situation you're in: the item is up for sale in a local market. I think that's all PMeuph was saying (with regard to the local/shipping issue, anyway.)
I agree. I know I have snagged a horn or two and made good profit or players from them from my local market and they completely slipped through the cracks online even when posted on Craigslist. It would be nice if sellers could at minimum delete their ads if the horn has already sold is all (or a courtesy return e-mail saying it has been sold). Maybe that is asking too much, who knows. This is a cool horn, and hope whoever buys it enjoys it.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

groth wrote: ......
If the posters' "rant" was "off topic" then perhaps we should eliminate this whole sub-section of Craigslist & eBay postings if it opens up the seller to be burdened with unnecessary contact? If the instrument was sold, DELETE the ad immediately it's actually simple and voila', no more e-mails or calls.
I think you misunderstood me, I was prefacing that MY comment was an off-topic rant...
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb