Conn Monster Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

Conn Monster

Postby hrender » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:44 pm

hal.
hrender
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Conn Monster

Postby SteveP » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:30 pm

I have the Pan American version of this. I absolutely love playing it but is practical to use only for TubaChristmas and such.
Steve
Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (tuba/board/treasurer)
Lake Havasu Symphonic Winds (board/treasurer)
SteveP
bugler
bugler

Postby Donn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Me too (the Pan American) - I've never been to a TubaChristmas, but I've used it for various "such." Possibly. Public performance, though, which I'm not sure applies for TubaChristmas. Mine has a gold wash bell.

I didn't find the low end, below C, to be very good. Mine's a little roughed up, could have something to do with it, but ... the seller mentions his abandoned plan for a new valve section, I'm guessing with more valves - which would give you better access to low notes that don't have much meat on them, if it's like mine. You'd think otherwise with such a large bell, but I think it's a more complicated design issue, an oversized Eb tuba that plays well on the larger lengths of valve tubing. C is great, but Bb, I have a bad memory of having to hold that note in an exposed situation.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby SteveP » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Interesting. It's possible, I guess, that we're talking about two different models. Mine is lacquered brass and takes a large shank mouthpiece (maybe converted to large shank?). For quite some time I fiddled around with different mouthpieces trying to bring it up to 440. It was flat and there seemed to be no cure. Finally had about an inch (1/2 inch each side) taken off the main tuning slide. I really didn't want to do this as there's no turning back but it did the trick and now I'm in tune at 440 with the tuning slide all the way in. It gives me a great Bb and all the other low notes as well. Of course with three valves it has all the inherent intonation issues of any three valve instrument. If it had a fourth valve I'd use it for all the groups I play in (they're all community type groups). If the group tuned slightly sharp, though, I'd be screwed.
Steve
Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (tuba/board/treasurer)
Lake Havasu Symphonic Winds (board/treasurer)
SteveP
bugler
bugler

Postby Donn » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:25 am

Sounds just like mine so far. Except for the solid Bb, and the finish. Mine's something like 1926, so as I understand it, wouldn't have been lacquered - silver plate, or bare brass.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Return to Off-Site deals and Ads