Reynolds Contempora BBb

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
largobone
bugler
bugler

Re: Reynolds Contempora BBb

Post by largobone »

Looks like a King 1241 with a Reynolds stamp
MM DePaul University
bass trombone, Evanston Symphony
trombone, Ohio Light Opera
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Not really. I mean, sure, it does vaguely resemble a King with a longer bell section, but the valve section is Reynolds. Among other things, note the upper part of the 1st valve tubing, in the middle you see the casing for built in kicker spring (though sadly some of the parts are not in place there - that would be something to ask about.) And that upper part is narrower, which I think would avoid the water pocket that bugged me a lot with the King; that might in turn be partly about the different angle from one valve to the next.

Looks like a great deal to me. They're pretty well regarded tubas, and the upright bell and 4th valve are unusual on the market. The seller seems to know what he has, and the shipping prices suggests he has a little sense about what it takes to put a tuba in the mail (though as a rule I wouldn't bet my life on that.) When I was looking for something a little bigger than my King, I did some looking for one of these. By reputation they are exactly what he says, a big tuba with great intonation.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

largobone wrote:Looks like a King 1241 with a Reynolds stamp
Yes, I believe the bore is .687 like a King, but the valves are in a "sousaphone" configuration ("offset"), rather than a vertical one.

FWIW, I've always thought that the super-tall bell on this model looks kinda goofy.

<sidebar>

Is it true that F.A. Reynolds used to work in the York factory before opening up his own shop? I've always noticed a similarity in this horn's layout to the York 7×× series....

<sidebar>
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".